Chemo didn't last; starting Immune therapy next week.

6 years 2 weeks ago #55001 by m3n4
Hi Tanya,
I'm new to this site and I related to your message as my dad is on Keytruda at the moment (total of 11 doses so far). How is your husband doing?

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 urothelial carcinoma in May 2016 (at 71 years old) and has been on Keytruda since June 2016. He was only on 100mg and only have it every 4-8 weeks as we need to fly to Malaysia for this treatment (dad lives in Indonesia). In September 2016, pet scan showed that the metastasis on the neck and chest lymph nodes have regressed. He has been doing reasonably okay with some side effects including hypothyroidism and skin rashes, then in October 2017 he had a week course of hypofractionated radiotherapy to relieve bleeding in urine. He continued having Keytruda in Dec 2017 and Feb 2018 then late Feb his bile duct got blocked and he turned yellow, despite normal liver function in early Feb! His liver function just went all over the place within 3 weeks. We flew to Malaysia and he had biliary stent put in. He seems to be doing not too bad now, not yellow anymore and no blood in urine also no pain. However, he has lost a bit of weight after the jaundice. So we are anxious to see what his pet scan shows in 2 weeks time. We are thinking to switch to Ipilimumab, both the oncologist in Malaysia and Singapore seem pessimistic, but fingers crossed!

Best wishes,
Mena
The following user(s) said Thank You: lotech35

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #54152 by Jack R
Tanya,

Wishing, along with you, for positive results from the new medication.
Good to hear that it was well tolerated.
I'm sorry there was not much info to offer here - you are on the leading edge of the science.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

6 years 6 months ago #54150 by Tanya606
Thanks Jack for you reply. First treatment went pretty easy yesterday. Much easier than chemotherapy. We have been counseled to have 3 sessions, 1 every 3 weeks an then repeat the PET or CT scan to check on progress in halting the spread or resolving the cancer. So now we wait and pray.

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #54132 by Jack R
Tanya,

I recalled only a couple of comments on this board about Keytruda, so I searched the forum; there are only questions, no answers.

Keytruda is newly approved for bladder cancer - it received very fast approval based on encouraging results for a percentage of patients.

The problem with new medications is that they do not have an extensive track record. The good news is that they are available now.

Best to you and your husband,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

6 years 6 months ago #54131 by Tanya606
We found out this week that the Chemo didn't last for my husband more than a couple months. PET scan shows it has now spread to lymphs outside the pelvis. With the chronic renal failure as a result of the Cisplatin the only option, which the doctors don't agree on, is to try the Immune therapy.
Conflicting impressions from the oncologist; so I'd love to hear how others with Stage IV Urothelial Bladder cancer that failed chemotherapy have done with the Immune therapy Keytruda. The only option is to do nothing at this point and get his affairs in order. Pretty sobering visits this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lotech35

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne