I'm am Mike McG's wife need help dealing with mets

10 years 3 months ago #45705 by Cynthia
Liz you ask questions that none of us can even wrap our heads around really. No one knows anthers pain but I know my own and it may give me a small window into yours.

For a year and a half now my husband and I have been dealing with the devastating diagnosis of one of ours. They do not wish to be public about their battle so I have not written here about it here as I respect their wishes. Before I was the one dealing with cancer I had no idea what it was like for my loved ones of feeling so helpless, devastated and scared. I am seeing a counselor and there is a name for what I am and I am sure you are dealing with is called anticipated grief. Give yourself a place to rage and talk, where it is ok for it to be about you and how it affects you, a girlfriend, councilor, clergy or us who ever you feel at ease enough to share this with. We can get so absorbed in dealing with others and their needs that we do not take care of ourselves and you know the old saying.

How you get through this? One second, one minute, one day at a time, the human spirit is an amazing thing, it endures what it thinks it cannot. But how do you keep the fear of the future from taking away the joy of the moment? I posted on the ABLCS Facebook fan page this quote by Mignon McLaughlin ” The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one minute to the next.” Survivor or Caregiver it does not matter we all just persevere and endure what we cannot change. The key is getting back up when it drops us to our knees. And with the help of family and friends we find a way. We don’t do it perfectly we just do the best we can.

You may not know it but because you are a part of Mike you are a part of us you don’t get a vote by the way. Please be part of this community it would be good for all of us I think.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
The following user(s) said Thank You: lizmcgarry, GKLINE, jimswife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #45704 by Cynthia
This is a post from Mikes wife Liz she put it in the blogs and I posted as I know not all of you go to the blogs.

Hi. We just found out that Mike's cancer is back and he isn't going to do chemo again. His Dr says he may start getting bad in 6 mo and then he will live maybe another 6 mo. I'm scared it's going to mutate and speed up! We have been married for 34 years and we are both only 54. I fully support Mikes decision. The whole family is supportive. I'm scared now. I don't want him to die! What am I going to do when he is gone? He is my whole life! If anyone has some coping skills that has helped them, please share them with me. I am sad and scared. How will I know when he starts going down hill? I don't like not knowing if, when, and where, the end is

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne