Mets on thoracic spine, pelvic, abdomen and ribs

11 years 2 months ago #43953 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Mets on thoracic spine, pelvic, abdomen and ribs
I am so very sorry to hear this news. Mayo would be a good choice to get a second opinion about a course of treatment and the clinical trial suggested to you. MD Anderson in Houston is recognized as one of the best, and Vanderbilt in Nashville is ranked #6 in the country for Urology by U.S. News & Health. There are several medical centers that are excellent and I'm sure your doctors want to move forward quickly.

Blessings and strength to you both as you deal with this most difficult news...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #43952 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Mets on thoracic spine, pelvic, abdomen and ribs
Mayo is an excellent choice, if you feel comfortable with the doctors there (this is always a very personal decision.) Is this where the clinical trial is being conducted? Who is sponsoring the clinical trial? I would ask the physicians conducting it about the quality of life issues that might be expected during and after the trial, knowing that they cannot always predict individual cases.

What other treatment options are being offered, and what would his prognosis be if he chose them? These are important issues to take into consideration.

Many patients with advanced cancer are eager to get into a clinical trial, if it is a protocol that may promise newer, more advanced approaches to treatment. I think that this is something that you should seriously consider, after exploring the issues I have mentioned as well as all your questions. Only you can make the decision as to what is right for you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 years 2 months ago #43951 by jaxmad13
Hubby had CT and bone scan on January 22nd and the cancer has spread to the thoracic spine, pelvic, abdomen and ribs. His new bladder is cancer free. We have been offered to do a clinical trial and hubby is concerned about doing this as he wants his quality of life to be what it is now. We don't even know if he would be qualified for the clinical trial. I checked into the Cancer Treatment Centers of America and was ready to make an appointment but then I have found that they don't specialize in bladder cancer plus I haven't read to many positive things about them, so I've decided to make another appointment at Mayo Clinic, we've gone there before for a second opinion.

I have heard of other quality cancer centers and really don't know where to turn. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne