Recurrent Bladder Infections and Chemo

17 years 2 months ago #3863 by DebTN
Replied by DebTN on topic Recurrent Bladder Infections and Chemo
Hi!! I haven't written a lot on the forums but do have some info. from our situation concerning infections and chemo. My husband as has chronic e-coli due to the cancer or a stent we do not know. He has a culture at least once a month. It is resistant to all but 3 or 4 antibiotics and right now he is on Sulfa/Trim and a daily rocephen injection for 20 days. He has had 4 cycles of chemo. He had lymph node involvement also. The oncologist feels that if we're treating the infections go on with chemo and it seems to be alright so far. (the doctors - urologist and oncologist and myself think this will not go away and stay away) I wish your mother the best but know from experience that the infection is very painful at times so push for treatment and watch for the symptoms. Also ask questions . A person can be asymptomatic with e-coli and require no treatment. Just a little input on my perspective after 7 months of infections. Deb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #3851 by joanie
Replied by joanie on topic Recurrent Bladder Infections and Chemo
Hi sorry I dont have any answers for you but have had the same problem with having infection's when checked it would show infection then when cultured nothing would show I feel like I have an infection all the time but 7 out of ten tests show no infection with a culture even though the strip test shows infection. Do they always grow a culture when your Mother is tested? I have just finished a course of Cipro for infection only been off it 3 days and felt ok until today now once again feel like I have an infection. My doctor thinks its the cancer causing my problems along with my bladder being scarred from biopsies and BCG treatments.
Make sure they always do a culture when she is checked to be sure its an infection.

17 years 2 months ago #3799 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Recurrent Bladder Infections and Chemo
Hi,

A year of infections and antibiotics... I wonder how long ago the cancer was diagnosed. Do you know the stage and grade of the original tumor -- was it removed (TUR)?

It could be the policy of the doctor, the hospital or the insurance company whether or not to do bladder removal surgery when nodal involvement is seen, it's a point of contention.

When there is spread outside of the nodes, then surgery is sometimes done to palliate symptoms. If bladder removal would improve your mother's quality of life she should be given that choice.

Some doctors will remove the bladder and lymph nodes in an attempt to cure, and do chemo later, while others will delay surgery until total response to chemo is seen first. Radiation can also be used. The most current thinking is that pre-op chemo gives the best odds in face of nodal involvement.

There is more to it than that...it also depends on if your mother is fit for surgery.

I can't help but wonder if the symptoms defintely due to infection, or are they a side effect of the cancer itself..or has the cancer been causing infections. I'm sorry, your message raises more questions than answers, that's for sure.

Where are you located and can your mother get a second opinion? Perhaps that would be helpful, it's a difficult situation.

All the best,
Wendy

17 years 2 months ago #3792 by IZHIZH
My mom is scheduled to start chemo next week but can't seem to go two weeks without a bladder infection.  The infections have been severe to the point of requiring IV antibiotics on more than one occasion over the last year.  My question is with her history of bladder infections (she rarely goes 2 weeks with out one) should she start chemo or is the chemo too dangerous given her history?  She was scheduled for bladder removal but when they found that the cancer was in to the lymph nodes they didn't - should they have?  Wouldn't this have taken care of the bladder infection issue? It is the infections that are making the impact on her quality of life right now.........any input appreciated. thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne