hiccups

13 years 10 months ago #31995 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic hiccups
Well thats an interesting list....take Ativan for sleep..do not take benzodiasapans....oops guess what ativan is? YEP..........
As for marijuana..while cheech and chong might recommend...i remember when my son was on platimum based drugs for testicular cancer and my idiot tho loving brothers decided that he should smoke pot.......bad idea....he ended up in the hospital curled up in a ball and sick as a dog and hallucinating. Oncologist said that was a NO NO with platimum based drugs.
Nexium..if stupid insurane company will allow it usually takes care of the problem...try getting it first line though. My docs gave it to me when i left the hosptial It helped with reflux which is comon at first which tends to ge the diaphram excitied.
I personlly think the Ativan will help as its secondary effect is to calm the nervous and spaciticity conneced with spasms..but who am i to argue with doctors who have had 6 weeks of traning in pramacalogy......... :S
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #31993 by nicolamobile
Replied by nicolamobile on topic hiccups
thanks mike for your link i am going to print it off for my dad i particulary like the bit at the end about slaping the patient it made me laugh although i doubt i will try that suggestion!!!!

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31954 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic hiccups
This link may be of help: Chemotherapy and hiccups

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #31953 by Moglie
Replied by Moglie on topic hiccups
Hi Nicola
Do you have the twilight nurses number, for whilst your dad goes through chemo? If you do, then give them a call - they should be able to suggest something.
Failing that and I hope this is the same in your area, call your out of hours cancer unit and ask for the in-patient ward and ask them to take him in to sort it out. They'll have on-duty oncologists and they will know exactly what to do. Don't suffer trying to cope with it, get your dad in. We did exactly that last week, when my mum got very dehydrated following cisplatin, they kept her in for the night and sorted her out.
Best wishes
Moglie

13 years 10 months ago #31951 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic hiccups
Not sure where you live but if you are in a state that has approved medical marijuana, it may help with this and other side effects of chemo.

I know it's approved in Colorado and I think California and a number of other states have as well.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #31943 by nicolamobile
hiccups was created by nicolamobile
dad has just had a large dose of chemo yesterday, and today he has had non stop hiccups for about 3 and a half hours, has anyone had this experience?, mums driven around chemists for a pescription that helps to stop the hiccups, they have enough to cope with at the moment without this.sorry for moaning !!!! just feel helpless!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne