It would still help

17 years 4 months ago #2644 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic It would still help
I'm so so sorry that your father is doing so poorly. Is there a nurse case amanger or social worker involved with his care? If you have one at your disposal they can be wonderful support and have lots of resources to share.

I agree with Wendy that hospice care would be a great option for your dad. We have a few programs locally that are either residential or programs that allow people to stay in their own home. His comfort should be a first priority.

I'm confused about the infection. Has it been treated? Do that know what type of infection they are dealing with?

Big hug to you. Your dad is lucky to have you on his side.

Bubbles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #2620 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic It would still help
This is a nightmare, I'm so sorry to hear about your father's situation. The most important thing at this point is your father's comfort and it doesn't sound like they're doing very well. You should seriously consider hospice care, the help you'll get will be invaluable.

Is he on antibiotics?

What about radiation to shrink the bladder tumor or any tumor causing pain? I know that's mostly done for bone metastases in the US, but it's often used in Europe as treatment. If infection is present any treatment is likely to worsen things though.

It's true that the cause of death is often sepsis when bladder cancer gets out of control. Maybe he should be getting IV antibiotics?

How about pain meds, is he getting enough? It might be time for some serious pain control, there are many techniques for people in your father's condition. Hospice specializes in this.

There is information on the website about metastatic blc and end of life issues.
blcwebcafe.org/metatcc.asp

I send you my prayers and best wishes for your father's peace and comfort.
Wendy

17 years 4 months ago #2618 by ginag
It would still help was created by ginag
IHi this is my second post. my father was discovered with a tcc of bladder but like a rare one! started on chemo and did 9 of them. then they found he also had in lungs and in october doctors said a pelvic excenteration would prolong life for about 5 years but discovered he had also in liver!!! so they closed him up..Also he had a previous fistula in bladder so now he is in a chair all day long with pain again and with chronic urine infections although he has 2 nephrostomies and a colostomy so is the infection coming from the tumor in the bladder he has a discharge that has a very strong odor; I cant find any case like this one please help. The dr says my father will die maybe of an infectin rather than the cancer itself! please someone help.

My father past on this last december and I can now say this was a nighmare. My suggestions would be the less suffering the better.. there is certainly no cure for metastatic bladder cancer although I still believe in miracles!!!! Palliative methods only for less suffering.. If some one has something similar please reply. he had transitional cell and squamous cell. If I can help anyone please le me know..

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne