Help! Bone Marrow??

15 years 2 weeks ago #25128 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Help! Bone Marrow??
It's not so much the cysto itself as that doesn't typically cause problems. It's the scraping of the tumors in the bladder. It all depends on how much scraping and/or cutting they did but it usually resolves itself in a few days to week or so.

Do let the doctor know because they may prescribe peridium (if it doesn't conflict with other medications) or some other medication to help numb the bladder a bit. It turns urine bright orange but it helped me.

Do check with the doctor first though. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 2 weeks ago #25126 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic Help! Bone Marrow??
Hi everyone...here I am with another question. My dad just got home and he had his stent replaced and they scraped out the tumors. He is now having sudden urges to urinate and is not able to hold it. Is this common after a cysto? Will he regain the ability to hold it long enough to make it to the bathroom?

15 years 2 weeks ago #25103 by Mel09
It doesn't look like there will be a bone marrow biopsy now. The Dr. did the cysto. and said that there were a lot of tumors in the bladder. He removed what he could and replaced the stent. He also said the chemo he is on needs to be changed because it obviously isn't working within the bladder. We are just not sure if my father's body can handle anything stronger....he is very weak as it is. The Dr. said it went well. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!!!

xoxo

Melissa

15 years 2 weeks ago #25097 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Help! Bone Marrow??
Mel, there are several reasons to do a bone marrow biopsy. I do know that chemo depresses the bone marrow functioning but people tend to bounce back from that. If he is not regaining his cell counts they look for other conditions. My husband had a condition called Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) which is a relatively rare disease but it depressed his red blood cell production. The disease was the reason he could not have chemo at all. There are different forms of the disease ranging from mild to severe. Dick had the mildest form and was getting procrit shots regularly and occasional blood transfusions. It tends to be a disorder of older people.

The stent can irritate the kidney and bladder. We were told that Dick's symptoms of irritation were from the stent and that white blood cells would be found in the urine but would not necessarily mean an infection.
I hope the cystoscopy give you useful information about what is going on. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 2 weeks ago #25093 by Mel09
Thank you! He was admitted last night and is having a cystocopy today at 1:00. I will keep you all posted.

15 years 2 weeks ago #25088 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Help! Bone Marrow??
Mel,

My prayers are with you and your family.

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne