It\'s been awhile...new development

15 years 3 days ago #24724 by julieanne
Replied by julieanne on topic It\'s been awhile...new development
Thank you Julie and Pat. Julie, you are often in my thoughts as well. I hope you are well. I found out a little more info from Mom, although she is hesitant to talk about it. She likes to appear fine. Anyway, she said it hurts worse when she is standing still and seems to be better if she is walking or sitting. Also, she says it is a shooting pain that begins around her hip and goes down to her knee area. I have also been concerned about a blood clot. Not sure. The nurse returns tomorrow and hopefully will convince her to see the doctor. As you know, she is very hesitant to have tests. I know that she needs to so that we can see what is going on. No one can help her if we don't know. The hospice nurse is very good and hopefully she will help her understand that this is something that needs attention. Thanks again for all the support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 days ago #24719 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic It\'s been awhile...new development
Hi Julieanne,

In my experience this past year I found that hospice and the other Doctors were very straightforward.
I have had issue with sciatic myself and if your Mother complains of tingling or numbness in her leg or foot she should be seen by a Dr. Sciatica can be very painful. It could be just what you are saying that the tumor is pressing on the nerve. You won't know without a medical exam and perhaps a CT scan. Most treatment seems to consist of pain medication which your Mother may already be getting.
I get the most relief by sitting with my feet up to relieve the tension in my lower back. The remedy used to be a firm mattress or putting a board under the mattress.
It probably would be useful to have your Mother see a Dr. and have a CT scan as you would want to find out if the cancer has gone into her bones. If the cancer invades the bones it is very painful and a lot of palliative care is to manage the pain of cancer much of which is caused by bone involvement.
You and your Mother have been in my thoughts. May you have strength for the journey ahead. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 5 days ago #24707 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic It\'s been awhile...new development
Hi Julieanne......probably a doctor should diagnose this not a nurse. It could be sciatica but the sciatica could be caused also by a tumor
www.medicinenet.com/sciatica/article.htm
Maybe this article will help? Pat

15 years 5 days ago #24705 by julieanne
Replied by julieanne on topic It\'s been awhile...new development
Thank you for the reply and well wishes. Honestly, I think I was hoping that hospice was straightforward. I mean, no one wants bad news, but it is difficult not knowing what is going on. I think I prefer that they are as honest as possible. Again, thank you.

15 years 5 days ago #24704 by deand
Replied by deand on topic It\'s been awhile...new development
I dont have a ton of experience with Hospice, but my father in law passed away in one about 2 years ago and it was my experience that they DO NOT sugarcoat it and they tell it just like it is. In fact, I believe that is their mantra...I love the people that work in hospice and they are angels in my book, but every question I asked of them was answered in the most direct and factual basis with pulling no punches. They werent uncaring by any means, in fact they delivered a very direct message with a ton of love and support, but in my experience, they do tell it like it is.

I am sorry to hear about your Mother, I really am. God Bless you through this process, there is nothing I can say that can help things, but just know that I have been through it and I pray for comfort for you and your family.

15 years 5 days ago #24703 by julieanne
It\'s been awhile...new development was created by julieanne
Hello all! It has been a long while since I have posted. I pop in to read and keep updated. Fortunately, I haven't had much of a reason to post in several months. Now, however there is a new development with Mom. I am hoping someone has some input. A quick recap....RC august 07,stage 4, no chemo, tumors spread to lymph nodes, nodes in back area have grown substantially causing pain. Now, recently she has a terrible shooting pain down her leg. The hospice nurse mentioned that it could be the sciatic (sp?) nerve. Well, my thought is that possibly the tumor in her back area has grown more (spread) and is pushing on that nerve. Any thoughts? Also, have you all found that hospice is pretty straightforward with their thoughts on what is going on? Do they tell it like it is or sugarcoat? Thanks so much. I knew just where to come tonight with my concerns.:)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne