Now what?

15 years 2 days ago - 15 years 2 days ago #24757 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Now what?
Mel.....it really varies with age. My father didn't have cancer but his bone marrow quit producing the red blood cells he needed and he often required blood transfusions. It became very time consuming as he would build up a resistence to the blood being given and he had to be cross-matched each time..and there were days that took longer than the transfusions.
Here's a pretty good paper on blood transfusions
www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Treatments/Supportivetherapies/Bloodtransfusions#8909
I maybe naive but why are they not doing something about the defective and/or slipped stent that is causing the problem?
Pat
my link is only partially there so you'll have to copy and paste the entire link.........sorry..don' know why its doing this....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 2 days ago #24756 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic Now what?
We have been told again that it is from the stent but that there was also a small infection in the urine. He will be on antibiotics for a while.

Another question....how common is it to continually need blood transfusions on chemo? My father is having 2 pints today. He had a smaller one last week and he has had them previously as well. Someone told my mother that it isn't good to get so many and now she is worried. I thought they were supposed to make him stronger?

15 years 6 days ago #24694 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic Now what?
Mel, my Dad had bleeding from his nephrostomy tube that varied in intensity. Seems they pierced an artery in his kidney when they inserted the tube and when he would move a certain way, it would irritate the artery and start the bleeding again. Finally, after weeks of Dad's losing blood, an interventional radiologist (not the one who inserted the tube!) found the bleed and did an arteriogram going in through Dad's thigh to close the bleed. You might have them check this in your Dad's case.

I hope it is something simple to fix.

Rickee

15 years 6 days ago #24687 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Now what?
Mel.....how much blood through the nephrostomy tube?
"Percutaneous nephrostomy is a urinary drainage procedure used for supravesical or ureteral obstruction secondary to malignancy, pyonephrosis, genitourinary stones, and ureteral strictures. It is also used as an adjunctive therapy with ESWL and ureteral stents. Nephrostomy tubes are also used for urinary diversion associated with vesical fistula, ureteral transaction, and trauma. Patients may present to the ED from postoperative complications related to the procedure or days and months after the procedure. In general, the risk of complications is low and includes bleeding, infection, mechanical complications related to the catheter (dislodgement or obstruction), and accidental punctures of adjacent organs...."
I do think the placement of the tube needs to be checked.
This is an article which you might already know...but everything i've read so far seems to indicate that bleeding is a sometimes latent complication of a nephrostomy tube.
www.answers.com/topic/nephrostomy-surgical-term
So sorry Mel.......Pat

15 years 6 days ago #24683 by lisaloo
Replied by lisaloo on topic Now what?
Hi
Not sure that I can help but its great news you Dad made it over to yours.I have had a stent in my ureter because of scar tissue and my doctor said I might see some blood in my urine just from irritation and not to worry unless there were large amounts.I know its different but it might be the cause.
Hope that Helps
Lisa xx

15 years 6 days ago #24681 by Mel09
Now what? was created by Mel09
So now my father has blood in his urine and is passing clots. Now there is also blood showing up in his bag from the neph. tube. He is on antibiotics because they thought it could be an infection but it hasn't cleared up and there is still blood. What else could it be? My mother is wondering if the tumor in the bladder is causing it. His latest PET scan didn't show much changes there, parts of the mets were better, some were worse. This is all so overwhelming.

On a better note, yesterday they were able to come to my house for a half hour. This is a BIG deal considering the panic attacks he has been having when he leaves the house. It was a short visit but a very nice one!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne