new here

15 years 2 months ago #24218 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic new here
OH WOW JB.........definately that uro should retire....Please get yourself to Vanderbilt in Nashville where they have highly specialized uro/surgeons for bladder cancer. I'm not even sure i would let the present uro do the TURB or scraping as he may not get all the margins or part of the muscle which needs to be present for pathology and i wonder about their pathology department anyway. Dr. Chang quite well known
www.vicc.org/dd/display.php?id=3907
and here is a list of the other uro/surgeons at Vanderbilt including Dr. Smith...just hit their name and see their contact numbers and specialties.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 2 months ago #24215 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic new here
JB,

Second Opinion...The Dr. should be telling you everything you need to or want to know. It is your right to know how many of these procedures he has done. Please join the group on Sunday chat like Anita mentioned...

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 2 months ago #24214 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic new here
John,

Welcome. This is Anita (Doug's wife) typing. We are from Oak Ridge, TN. We are very pleased with Doug's uro, Dr. Mark Bowles. Do you feel confidence in your doctor who is scheduled to do the surgery? If not, find someone else. You are close enough to Nashville, so you might want to look into Vanderbilt. Doug recently went there for a second opinion to Dr. Joseph Smith who was in complete agreement with everything that Dr. Mark Bowles was doing with Doug's case.

As far as support groups, we have not found any in the area. This Bladder Cancer Society is great. We have a chat on Sunday evenings at 8 PM EST. Please join us. There will be fellow cancer warriors on this chat who can answer a lot of questions.

Good luck and God bless you.
Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #24213 by spysir
new here was created by spysir
Just surfing the web for information and found this site which seems a decent resource. I am sorry I dont know all the terms yet please bear with me,
So far, off and on again HEAVY bleeding for the last 11 or so months, CT showed abnorma; mass on anterior wall of bladder, a Uro scoped me "nothing" not a fun test which caused extreme bleeding for more than 48 hours. Then last month again due to heavy bleeding now with pain another CT same result. Referred back to Uro but he had retired (good in my opinion) so I saw a different Dr in the same office. I was again scoped (only heavy bleeding for 12 hours this time, who-hoogo team) and he said "you have cancer", in regards to my CT he said "I could'nt get my machine to read it", "I dont need to see it", "it wouldnt make any difference" . I am scheduled for a cystoscpy (sp) on Feb. 16 in Cookville TN.
Now what really bothers me most is my Uro's office (and the Uro) "dont have time" to provide any information to me, I mean none. They know of no support groups for patients or familys/providers, they could not suggest any resouce for bladder cancer information, none. When I asked about the Internet for information they said "not to read any of that stuff" Uro got rather pissed when I asked how many of these procedure he had done, on and on. Pardon my grip please.
Hopefully by the end of next week I will have lab results from the scraing procedure back and will post again then.
Any links to information, advice, other would be most welcomed.

Thank you,

JB

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne