Ready or not Dick is home

15 years 4 months ago #22213 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Ready or not Dick is home
Yes, that helps. and it also helps to explain why, when they hospitalized him in the past, that no cultures were positive. They thought they were treating his infection, but they were "treating" his imbalance. I have asked the oncologist today to put together a treatment plan for the next time this happens.

MRI tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #22129 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Ready or not Dick is home
uuuuummmmm ... well the bicarb level related to electrolytes and imbalances.
The CO2 test is most often done as part of an electrolyte panel. Changes in your CO2 level suggest you may be losing or retaining fluid, cause an imbalance in your body's electrolytes. Electrolytes are minerals in your blood and other body fluids.

CO2 levels in the blood are influenced by kidney and lung function. The kidneys are mainly responsible for maintaining the normal bicarbonate levels.

Normal Results
The normal range is 20-29 mEq/L (milliequivalent per liter).
And an imbalance either way can affect the way his brain is functioning at the moment. I don't know why they said the stoma....its ultimately related to his kidney function....that help? Pat

15 years 4 months ago #22125 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Ready or not Dick is home
Hi, Julie....did you get some candy for yourself? We're at CTCA, and the staff is dressed to the 9's. One group came in all dressed like their staff doctor. One group is the Village People. There were a Popeye and Olive Oyl on the hospital ward. They really go all out here.

Doran was admitted yesterday, because he is falling a lot. He has been hallucinating a lot, and been a little feisty, so I can certainly sympathize with you and Pat. I'm a little embarrased at the way he speaks to the nurses, but they seem to understand. He's been fed fresh berries, fresh-squeezed apple juice (really!), fresh made potato chips, I've had spinach quiche and curried chicken soup with lentils, and Doran says this is the worst place he's ever stayed. That's one way I know he's hallucinating:dry:

He's on his first unit of blood, because his count was 8.2, and he had a sleep study last night, so his hallucinating might be due to apnea. I've got my fingers crossed.

His brain scan was negative (oh, what I could do with THAT news), and his bone scan wasn't too bad, because anything they saw might be inflammatory. We're waiting for his kidney function to get better before they do an MRI. We're also waiting for a urology consult, because they said he may be "losing bicarb through his stoma." Pat, do you know what that means?

Anyway, I'm going back to the ward, to share his supper, and then go get some of my own. Do you know they served Harvest Pumpkin soup with cream today for lunch with his beef dip? I can't believe their chef. And they have laughing therapy, and "mindful beading." Can't wait to find out about that:woohoo:

Julie, I hope you had a great evening. I even have a massage set for myself, but had to get it at 8:00 on Monday morning. :blink:

Talk to you all later.

Stephany in Iowa (temporarily in Illinois)

15 years 4 months ago #22120 by Patricia
I didn't find that book Julie but it sounds like a good one...i actually picked up several..one of which was titled...."Take My Father...Please"...After reading that and identifing with a lot of it i realized my situation wasn't nearly as bad as hers...but at least i found out i wasn't alone which helped me fend off the sometimes cruel remarks even though they pierced my heart.
Reward yourself with some trick or treat candy tonight!
Pat

15 years 4 months ago #22115 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Ready or not Dick is home
Dick blood sugar reading are all over the map. The prednisone really sends them high but they come down about as fast. Pat there is a book "The 26 Hour Day" written for caregivers for people with dementia. It was written over 20 years ago as I read it when we were taking care of Dick's Mother when she had lung cancer in the brain and early Alzheimers. Dick has always monitored his glucose and insulin closely and had done very well now I'm getting a crash course.

Today I'm taking him to the cancer center for a blood transfusion as his Hemoglobin was 8.1. Had to get up early today and his blood sugar was low so first had to treat that. We are off now. Busy day as I have my steroid injections in my knees this afternoon. Daughter and family are here and we want to have the toddler experience Trick or Treat. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 5 months ago #22049 by Patricia
wow Julie thats a high reading.....i'm sure you know all this but Mayo has a great page on diabetes and the effects of too much or too little insulin and its symptoms..one of which is dementia. I wonder why they can't figure out a better system to determine where he is and what he needs?
Lord knows there are no guidelines for caregivers taking care of someone with dementia....if i could have written the book i would have but i find it takes so many forms. My father would not take showers...he insisted he'd just had one.....he would overdose on his pills as he'd forgotten he'd taken any...the paranoia went from accusations that i stole his wallet...his house...and sometimes calling me every name in the book except my own name as he thought i was his sister. I definately could not care for him myself...i had to have help. I really admire you for being such a great caregiver and just forgive yourself for yelling at him..he won't remember it. I hope the home health and Hospice can afford you some relief.
If you want to read the paper from Mayo
www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-2-diabetes/DS00585/DSECTION=complications
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne