Back to the hospital

15 years 5 months ago #22047 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Back to the hospital
Thanks, Julie. I caught up with the other thread already. Yes, the winds come whistling down the plain, for sure.

Doran is in the hot tub, and I'm going to have breakfast, and start packing.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #22036 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Back to the hospital
I had never heard of Watsu until we moved here but I checked with a friend in Madison, WI who is a massage therapist and he said that one of the athletic clubs with a pool had someone doing Watsu. I'll ask my massage therapist how to find one in your area. Tucson is a big resort town and she works at Canyon Ranch for her day job.

I'm going to start a new thread re Dick's release. Good luck in Zion. I'm sorry Doran had another collapse it must be very frustrating for him. Dick's shortness of breath really forced the issue of using a wheel chair for him.
I know those prairie winds would you believe winds are a major problem here. I didn't know that until after we moved here. I'll be praying for you and Doran. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 5 months ago #22028 by Stephany
A massage in a pool? HOW relaxing. Where could I get one of those miracle treatments? I've never heard of that.

We are going to the Zion, Illinois, center, at Midwest Regional Medical Center. I have been working on paperwork for them for the past week, it seems like. There are forms and forms and forms.

On Monday, I'll be running around getting local copies of scans, etc., and refills of meds to take. I've gotten the forms to the hospitals. I also filled out two new sets of paperwork for the long term disability insurance that turned us down this year, because Doran kept trying to go back to work. He won't make that mistake again, and we'll be getting to the end of the 90 day waiting period next month. I had forgotten how much paperwork there is. If only I had known.....

Anyway, I'm glad you're getting away once in a while. I changed my massage to Tuesday morning, just before we get in the car for the drive to Zion. I figure it will do me the most good. We have about four and a half hours of driving, but I'm hoping it will be mostly in the country, instead of city.

That's wonderful news about Dick. Doran was up and around a couple of times this weekend, but collapsed in the parking lot of the music building, after he told me he would NOT use the wheelchair. Luckily, we were still at the car, and I could get him into the chair. Then he was OK :^L

I hope Dick is home and resting well very soon. And you can get a breath of air, too. The wind is blowing so hard here it is pushing around the patio furniture, and I had to take down the umbrella before it carried the table away.

Stephany in (windy) Iowa

15 years 5 months ago #22019 by lisaloo
Replied by lisaloo on topic Back to the hospital
Hi Julie
So pleased Dick was feeling better and that you took some time out for you it will do you the world of good.
Lisa x

15 years 5 months ago #22013 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Back to the hospital
Yes I feel guilty leaving him but I also can't stay all the time or I pay physically so I have had to limit my time in the room with him. Then I miss some of what is being done. I found out tonight that starting 3 nights ago they had put him on lidocaine patches for the rib pain which has given him additional relief.
I was pleased with the Home Health Agency when we had them before. The nurse was the person who told me that he had worked on cases side by side with hospice.
They do keep and I and O chart it is pinned on the bulletin board across from the foot of the bed along with a sign off for when the round every hour.

Stephany where will you go to get service from Cancer Treatment Centers of America?

Dick phoned me this morning before I left the house to let me know he was feeling much better. His wheezing was not nearly so bad today and the Dr. had come in and said he might go home tomorrow. What a change I don't know what happened from one day to the next as they had already done about all they could do. Perhaps it was the steroids. He looked so much better today. I took a couple of hours and went to have a massage treatment in a pool. it was so relaxing just to float and have someone work out the kinks and tension. I just thought about what my body was feeling and put everything else aside. I will be getting more of these massages. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 5 months ago #22000 by Stephany
Scary, Julie! You just feel guilty leaving them, don't you? Remember when I went back to the hotel room to sleep, and came back to find nobody had cathed him for eight hours? The residents couldn't believe I got 1700 ml out. They still want to accuse Doran of not cathing enough.

We're going to try Cancer Treatment Centers of America, they had an opening next week, so I'm frantically getting things changed around so we can be gone for a week or so.

It sounds like you have a GREAT home health agency. I hope your hospice works as well for you and Dick.

Do you have to keep an eye on that I and O (in and out) chart posted on his hospital door? Or do they do that where Dick is?

I hope your weekend gives you some respite.

Stephany in Iowa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne