just a bad feeling

15 years 7 months ago #20949 by julieanne
Replied by julieanne on topic just a bad feeling
Thank you all so much. I can't tell you what the support and understanding means to me. I have been trying really hard to just enjoy each day, but lately I just feel very anxious. Today I feel near a panic attack and for no apparent reason (meaning nothing different happened today). I read your replies and was able to cry. That is something I haven't been able to do so thank you for that. It is almost like I know a good cry would help but it is like I am too overwhelmed to cry????? Sort of like too tired to sleep you know? (I promise my mind is fine!!) Anyway, what you all said rings so true. It is so hard to see the people in my life who were always the strong ones, always the ones with the answers, always there for me, etc spiraling downward. It is very touchy because Mama is so determined that she is fine. She makes comments like "back when I was sick" (meaning right after the RC.) My sister is very aggressive and I am at the total other end of the spectrum....very nonconfrontational. I am so afraid to say something that will upset them, especially now with the irritability. I see how frustrated she gets with my sister. My brother I believe is in denial and avoids the subject. Anyway, again thanks for the responses and just for listening. I'm not sure why I am feeling so anxious lately. Maybe it is intuition. Maybe it is just nothing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #20948 by DIB
Replied by DIB on topic just a bad feeling
We offer support and someone to listen to each of us that goes through the difficult process of watching a parent age. Each situation and relationship is unique.

This weekend is the one year anniversary of my mother's death. She was 91 with multiple issues; she lived a mile from me and was in and out of hospitals/ICUs, nursing homes and her assisted living apt for almost 10 years and I did not have any siblings to share the experience. I am convinced it was her time; she spent her final week on the hospice floor of our local hospital and died peacefully as she wished. I consider myself fortunate.

I have had this conversation with so many friends. How do you care for a parent who you remember in their prime and who now often does not want to be cared for? All others could offer me, which was of help and I offer here is: "You can only do what you can do".

While in the hospital I came across many books trying to help one deal with the aging and loss of a parent. One of the quotes I wrote down which helped me is printed below.

Regardless of its reference to ultimate death, I wish all a long, happy and healthy life.

“We may have lived enough years to be an adult but we will always be a child in relation to our parents. Even if we find ourselves “parenting our parents” before their deaths, it is the parent of our youth and childhood that we bury.” (“Grieving the Loss of Your Parent” by Judy Ball)

David

Male Dx T1G3 5/08 @ Age 59. TURBT 5/08; TURBT+40 mg MMC 6/08; BCG (6) 7/08-8/08; Cysto & TURBT 9/08; BCG Maint(3) 10/08, 3/09; 7/09; 11/09; 5/10; & 1/11. Clean cystos 2/09, 9/09, 3/10, & 10/10.

15 years 7 months ago #20942 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic just a bad feeling
Julieanne if your intuition says something is wrong then there is probably something going on.
Have you asked your Mother if she is in pain? Metastatic cancer can be very painful. When people are in pain they can be extremely irritable.

Another thought is a touch of dementia. Would she be willing to go to her regular Dr. Talk to them ahead of time and ask them to do a mental status assessment. The business of thinking there are two Captain D's is the type of thing that people with dementia do. Arguing with people in this state is futile as I learned with my Mother in law. She had brain mets and early Alzheimer. I learned to change the subject.

It is hard to change our role with parents but at some time we have to become the person in charge. Let them know that you need peace of mind and for that to happen they need more care than they are getting now. Your Dad can't keep falling or he will seriously injure himself. Will he use a walker?

Is there someone who can stay with your parents? It doesn't sound from what you write that they should be living alone now.

Keep in touch.
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 7 months ago #20940 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic just a bad feeling
I think you need to bring your concerns to perhaps the family physician. It sounds to me like both need assistance and if there is no medical power of attorney in place perhaps your father would consent to it. Maybe they can qualify for at least someone to come out to their home to oversee their health.
This is really a tough one. I've been through it with my mother and my father and both being extremely strong willed and my father who had suffered 2 strokes still somehow thought he was of sound body and mind. He was most definately not. With the help of our local physician and an attorney I was able to gain medical power of attorney. That made me the "bad guy" but it also enabled me to take the best care of them. I can't tell you how quickly i made my own will up and my medical power of attorney so my children would never have to go through this painful time.
Have your moms Bl2 checked if you can get her to do it.......that can cause a lot of her symptoms.
this is such a delicate subject.......i wish you the best Julieanne......
Pat

15 years 7 months ago #20939 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic just a bad feeling
Julieanne,

Our emotions as we watch our parents decline are complicated to say the least. I remember one night my best friend while dealing with her Mom cried and said to me she just didn’t know what to pray for anymore. They are our parents keepers of our childhood, our hero’s, our shelter, and it changed they now need us. We may see the rest of the world through totally adult eyes’ but with our parents…… it is not so simple the emotions of the adult and child tug. And that is the way of the world it has always been that way between child and parent.

If you are conflicted can you imagine what your parents are feeling? Everything has changed for them they see the end of their independence coming. They are dealing with some very heavy issues not the least is their own mortality. And I imagine like most of their generation they are doing it without therapy or support they don’t talk a lot about it, they seem to just find a way to endure.

You are dealing with what many of us have or are dealing with as we get older; it is a very difficult journey to say the least. I have likened to your kids turning 18; you have no say no say in their actions but somehow you pay for them one way or the other. You will sleep with your hand half on the phone, dreading the moment when the other shoe will fall. If you have a sibling to share this with it helps and complicates it of course; and if you have siblings you know what I just said. You will also endure because you have no choice you are on the train for better or worse. But there will be minutes that you will never forget nor want too; make memories, say what you need to say to them and show them your love in small ways. We have found that what our parents wanted was for us to help them keep what was normal for them for as long as they could. Please come here and talk to us we know how hard this is, it can bring you to your knees, we are here for you. Keep us updated.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 7 months ago #20938 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic just a bad feeling
Julieanne,

There is not much I can offer, but support. It is hard when a parent is ill. They become scared and irritable. My Mom-In-Law lives with us. In the past two years she has had a pace maker, two cataract surgerys, a hip replacement. Her memory is not the best and she gets very irritable when it is pointed out. We lost Dad 9 years ago to lung cancer and she hasn't been the same since. It is hard watching parents go thru illness. All we can do is be there for them and hope they will except our help. I know that when I am sick I get irritable. The memory thing might be age or cancer it is hard to tell since she won't go to the doctor. I wish I had some advice but all I can say is hang in there.

Webs

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne