Another chemo question...

15 years 7 months ago #20751 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic Another chemo question...
Thanks again Pat...I focused in on this part:

Rebound from chemotherapy

Some chemotherapy drugs work directly on dividing cells in the body - including the bone marrow where platelets are made. When the body is recovering from the effects of chemotherapy, a temporary overproduction of some cells can occur.

Hopefully with the aspirin, it will go back down to normal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #20747 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Another chemo question...
Hi Mel...well this article is probably overkill but you can scan through it...i think i'd ask the oncologist whether this is temporary and is it being monitored? He's probably is a very small percentage that the platelets do the opposite of what most do? I'm sure he's keeping a watchful eye.
www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/thrombocytosis.htm
Pat

15 years 7 months ago #20745 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic Another chemo question...
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info...they did recommend an aspirin. I just have not heard about having high platelets. Does he have to now be careful of clots? This is something I do not know too much about.

Thanks again,

Melissa

15 years 7 months ago #20743 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Another chemo question...
Melissa....
Rebound from chemotherapy

Some chemotherapy drugs work directly on dividing cells in the body - including the bone marrow where platelets are made. When the body is recovering from the effects of chemotherapy, a temporary overproduction of some cells can occur.

Did he recommend a baby asperin a day or anything like that? Do you know how high the count was?
As for not eating???????????? Never heard that one....maybe watch the K foods as they are blood clotting foods...just a guess???
Pat

15 years 7 months ago #20737 by Mel09
Another chemo question... was created by Mel09
Hello,

My father went in this morning for his "big" chemo and was told that his platelet count was a little high. They are still giving him the treatment but told him that it is something they will watch. I have tried to find info on this but to no avail. I keep reading about low platelet counts, but not high. Anyone with any experience with this, please let me know. Of course my mother is now worried. I figure that if they went ahead with the chemo, it isn't that serious yet...could be wrong.

Also, the oncologist told my father that he should stop gaining weight now. He gained 7 lbs. 2 weeks ago and 7lbs.this week. This is all after losing a whole bunch of weight! I am surprised she told him this. He is about 6'4" and weighs under 200. He used to be a big guy so this is actually thin for him. Just thought it was a good thing that he has been eating so well.

Any feedback appreciated!

Melissa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne