Maybe we\'re on to something

15 years 7 months ago #20389 by danpeters
Maybe we\'re on to something was created by danpeters
I’m more of viewer than a poster at this site, but a few weeks ago I asked if any one had any experience with MVAC versus Alimta as a third line treatment for TCC. I was anticipating the worst of my August scans. Well the good news is that my scans showed no new nodes and the existing nodes had not gotten any larger. I know any one visiting this site is dealing with the roller coaster of emotions from dealing with this insidious disease, so God knows we can all use some good news from time to time. If you’re like me maybe you’ve grown a little leery of good news, since it took me a while to accept the harsh realities of TCC. But what the heck maybe we’re on to something.

Backing up a bit. January 07 I had a neobladder put in. March 07 to June 07 I completed a gem/cis cycle. From June 07 to April 08 my scans showed no evidence of disease. In April a new node was discovered in the iliac chain and I began second line treatment with docetaxel (Taxotere). The June scan showed the node was growing and new nodes appeared in my right lung. I was in a clinical trial and the study drug, Zactima, was added to the treatment. Zactima is a VEGF blocker. Yesterday the August scans showed that there were no new nodes and the existing ones had not grown. We’ll stay the course, a one hour infusion every 21 days and a daily pill. In October we’ll have more scans and see if we’re really on to something. I’m tolerating the treatment quite well and my wife and I will enjoy the next few months with a visits with our granddaughter and just making memories together.

When I was first diagnosed I was told survival chances were quite low. My attitude has always been a “low chance” is better than “no chance”. I’m sure we’re all trying to make the most of that chance and wanted to share a small success.

The link to study I’m in is clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00378794?term=zactima&recr=Open&rank=18

Prayers of courage and survival to all,

Dan Peters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne