Another Sleep disrupter

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20065 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Another Sleep disrupter
Julie,
Sounds like you did a great job getting him back to his feet or at least
in a sitting position. I am not good at what you are, when I called 911 last year when Gene was having a heart attack I wondered around the drive waiting for them, as Gene sat inside having a heart attack,( 2am) At all times I was on with the 911 operator, she said is he breathing, I said, I think so he's inside.. I think I was running scared..but I am better at it now, I think!!!!!Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #20062 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Another Sleep disrupter
We used something like LinktoLife with my Mother-in-Law when she started falling. I generally don't leave Dick alone since he started on the high dose narcotics. I always carry my cell phone with me. We have a small place so we can hear each other and our landline phone has an intercom function.

What I need to find out is if there is a resource for help in picking someone up. I would need to have that information for a service provider like LinktoLife. I thought I read or heard something recently about having the neighborhood firemen come in to help. Trying to learn what the resources are in a new community are a challenge.

We have had a lot of practice being a team especially since we went on the road. Sometimes our problem is we are too self reliant.

The Doctor's have told us that I am a good person to be a caregiver because I don't flap and my staying calm helps Dick to stay calm. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 8 months ago #20051 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Another Sleep disrupter
Julie I do not know if you ever have to leave Dick alone or not but if you do I would suggest something like the Link to Life if you do not have it.

www.linktolife.com/

We have used it with three groups of family members and it has been a wonderful insurance policy. They set it up so someone could be heard from any room in the house if they used thier alert pendent.

It sounds like you and Dick make a good team working through that as you did.
You are in my thoughts.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20047 by Julie
Another Sleep disrupter was created by Julie
I had just turned off the light when I heard Dick calling me for help. I went out to the kitchen and found him on the floor. He had not hurt himself when he slipped but he couldn't get up. He doesn't have the strength to push or pull him self up. I can't pick him up as he still weighs more than I do. Here is another gap in his care plan. I managed to coach him through rolling over so I could help his sit up. Now we just had to get his feet under him so he could stand. He used a step stool to get on his knees then while he held on to the walker I put the step stool wear he could sit down then he was in position to push with his feet and hands to get into an upright position. This took some time as you can imagine.

Today I will contact the local council on aging to find out what we can do so that I know how to get help if he falls again. I certainly hope this doesn't happen but this alerted me to the possibility.

I also have to be a nag about him exercising and using his arm and leg muscles.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne