FDA issues warnings on Procrit and Aranesp

15 years 7 months ago #20084 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic FDA issues warnings on Procrit and Aranesp
Here is a link to an article in the New York Times about what the FDA is telling the manufacturers of Aranesp and Procrit to put on the labels.

www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/business/31amgen.html?partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #20044 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic FDA issues warnings on Procrit and Aranesp
As I read this, what the FDA is doing is requiring the manufacturer of Aranesp and Procrit to change the written warnings about these drugs to be in line with current Medicare policy of when they will pay for Aranesp and Procrit.

I would think Clara that Bob will continue to be able to have the shot if his hemoglobin is under 10.
I have been following this issue as Dick has been on either Aranesp or Procrit since 2006.
I believe there is ongoing dialog between oncologists, the manufacturers, Medicare and the FDA about what the treatment guidelines should be and that Medicare policy should be in line with best treatment practices. I expect that we are not done seeing changes in policy regarding Procrit and Aranesp.
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 7 months ago #20034 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic FDA issues warnings on Procrit and Aranesp
Bob had a shot of Aranesp one week ago and is scheduled for another next Thursday. Sometimes I think we cannot win for losing....

Thanks for all your helpful info that you post.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

15 years 7 months ago #20029 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic FDA issues warnings on Procrit and Aranesp
this is the latest FDA warning
www.fda.gov/CDER/DRUG/infopage/RHE/default.htm
but i think what is happening is some doctors are prescribing very aggressively with this drug..it should not be given unless the hemoglobin drops to l0......i'm still researching for alternatives.
Pat

15 years 7 months ago #20023 by Webs
Pat,
Are there alternatives to these drugs? I start chemo soon and would like to know all the facts.

Webs

15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #20021 by Patricia

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne