A Holly thoughts thread...

15 years 8 months ago #19630 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic A Holly thoughts thread...
Hi Leigh,

Thank you for sharing the struggle you have been dealing with regaurding your furry family members, too. It can get complicated pretty quick. Webs idea really appeals to me as I think Lightning would easily adapt to another home. I am going to try to get a picture of her on here - hope I do it right!

God Bless, Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #19574 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic A Holly thoughts thread...
Dear Holly,

During my down time with the chemo my partner took over the responsibilty of looking after the house and cats, this I know was an extra burden although temporary.

I too have often laid awake at night worrying and wondering what would happen to my cats if something happened to me.

My concern would be for Maddy as she is not a cat that could be easily re-homed because of her feral nature towards anyone except me. Even my partner will not go near her very often.

I often thought that if things did not work out for me I would try desperately to find a good home for her before it was not possible anymore.

You really have a tough decision to make and it is not one that I could do very easily either.

Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 8 months ago #19562 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic A Holly thoughts thread...
Hello Holly,

My kids are 5 wonderful cats and I have an amazing bond with my first cat Maddy. She is a mix of Siamese and Felix type although has the character and temperament of a Siamese.

It strikes me more than a coincidence that I too have a similar situation with Maddy whom started to urinate all over the house one year before my diagnosis.

I thought that maybe she was getting terrorized by the other cats as Maddy was always a loner and never mingled or played with the others.

She often showed her jealous nature by striking out at any passer-by when she was cuddling up with me. I guess she was a one man woman in a way and protected me in her own way.

The urine from a cat is very pungent and cleaning up after her became a chore and I did not want to add this to my usual daily chores even in my at the time good health.

Maddy had the option to venture outside but never chose to do this and stayed indoors using the litter tray to have a number 2 but urinating were ever she so pleased.

After many failed attempts at protecting her from the other cats and segregating her to give safe haven I sought help from the vet. I was advised to do much of the same and to return within a week if she continued. The vet would then investigate further to see if it was a medical issue.

Of course the urination continued and I returned with Maddy to the vet the following week. Visiting the vet with Maddy was always a trauma in itself and tranquilizers had to be used just for checkups.

After a series of blood tests, urine samples and physicals no medical reason was found until they completed an x-ray of her pelvic area.

Maddy had large bladder stones and had obviously had lots of pain with urination and sought comfortable places to do her business. I was extremely relieved to have an answer to the problems and after the operation to remove the stones I am sure that Maddy was very relieved also to be pain free.
Maddy continued to urinate for another week everywhere except the litter tray. The litter tray then became her urination depository of choice…thankfully.

Shortly after I too started to have bladder issues although luckily for my partner I urinated in the toilet and cleaned up after myself….

I am so sure that the bonds we make with are pets/kids have far deeper levels that we just don’t understand fully.

Leigh…

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 8 months ago #19560 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic A Holly thoughts thread...
Hi Webs,

I had not realized anything like this was an option - thank you for presenting it. She is beautiful and has a great disposition and no other health issues. She first developed this problem several months after being spayed, just about a year before I had urinary problems myself. My husband is an engineer and had not lived with "beasts" before we wed so he had a major adjustment with just the hair even. He will be busy just keeping my cat Princess FuzzButt. I do believe Light would adapt to another person - male or female. She knows lots of tricks too :)

What has me so disturbed is knowing her and I share a similar health issue. If she had anything but urinary incontinence issues - it would be more objective I think. But it is tearing me up knowing something has to be decided soon. Thank you for the helpful links. God Bless, Holly

PS She has been raised on Iams, been spayed, and always been current on shots/heartworm tests, etc She actually may be a bit spoiled too

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #19554 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic A Holly thoughts thread...
Holly,

Ask your family for their true feelings on this subject. You know their faces better than anyone you will see the answer. If the answer is it is to much work there are several options. If your dog is a one women dog the kindest thing is to help her pass on when the time is right. If she can attach to others you can find her a new home. There are people who will not care about her bladder issue. I will research Shepard rescue sights and get back to you on that. It is natural to want to do the best for all members of your family including the furry ones, but not at the expense of your strength.

Webs
German Shepherd Dog rescue of Northern Illinois www.gsdrni.org

Chicago land Shepherd Rescue www.gsdr.org

German Shepherd Rescue inc. www.gsdrescue1.org
This one even talks about special needs dogs and how the people who adopt them can get free medical for the dog.

Hope this helps.

Webs

15 years 8 months ago #19544 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic A Holly thoughts thread...
Holly,
Thats so sad, being a dog lover and having 2 dogs in the house when the kids were growning up I feel your pain. Now our are in the backyard with 2 little grave markers. Both were 15 years old when they died..I think as long as you are oaky with everything with her bladder keep her as long as you wish.
They are so non judge mental and love you no matter what. Now if it gets really out of control then go to the net step, I wouldn't do anything at the moment..I have COMPASSION for you, its a difficult time,,keep the doggie,
and take care of you.. Ginger

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne