advice please

15 years 8 months ago #19274 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic advice please
Nik,

Your friend definately needs a second opinion...there are alot of options such as radiation, and chemo, and Zometa to slow down the cancer's growth. But before any of those options are pursued, he needs to see another oncologist and confirm/deny the initial findings ASAP.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #19272 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic advice please
Mel,

I would go for the second opinion, especially since he is in no pain, you never know what the second opinion will open up as far as diagnosis,,its worth the effort,,,,take care, and your friend is in my prayers,,Ginger

15 years 8 months ago #19271 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic advice please
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your friend. I am going through the same with my father. They are however using chemo to try and shrink the cancer in his body (even his bones). We were also told that removing the bladder at this point is not an option.

What kinds of scans and chemo was your friend given?

Is he in any pain yet?

The part that surprises me is that they do not want to treat him until he feels symptoms. That is not being very proactive!

You are in my thoughts...

Melissa

15 years 8 months ago #19266 by nik
Replied by nik on topic advice please
sorry, I should have said that I live in the UK

nik

15 years 8 months ago #19265 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic advice please
You did not say if you friend has gotten a second opinion but if not it would be a very good idea. No matter what if you are given a serious diagnosis the next move should be to talk to someone that is at the top of the food chain in their specialty. If nothing else it will be a reality check but we have seen that options do vary from doctor to doctor. If you let us know where you are generally located we can give you some names of who is good close to you.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 8 months ago #19264 by nik
advice please was created by nik
My friend was diagnosed with bladder cancer some months ago. A scan revealed a'shadow' on his pelvis that was not clear enough to be diagnosed as cancer.

He undertook a course of chemo and then some radiotherapy was targeted at his bladder.

Yesterday a hospital appointment revealed that the cancer cells in his bladder have survived and multiplied. The bone shadow is now known to be bone cancer and he has lesions in his vertabrae and the disease has made itself at home in part of his pelvis and the sacrum (bottom of his spine)

There appears to be no cancer in any other organs and he is functioning normally except for some pain when he urinates.

He has been given a prognosis of between six months and three years (loosely)

The consultant was of the opinion that removing the bladder will not be helpful to his health or to the eventual outcome of the disease and that he should return for a new oppointment when he'develops symptons' for palpative treatment.

We are shocked at this outcome especially as my friend appears well. he has not lost weight and his energy levels are good.

I would appreciate any advice on further questions we should ask or of anything else we should know?

thankyou
nik

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne