Side Effects?

15 years 9 months ago #18757 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Side Effects?
The major suspect for the fevers is a UTI so Dr. N prescribed an antibiotic and Dick had the treatment yesterday. Last evening he had a long nap and then got up and took his evening medications. He was able to stay awake for the tasks.
He did somewhat better today but is tired tonight and has chills again. Tomorrow will be more difficult as we have to leave home by 9 to see the pain Doctor in the morning. It takes Dick 2 1/2 hours to do what it used to take an hour to do in getting ready to leave the house. He can sit and look at what he has to do for 30 minutes instead of just doing it.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #18681 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Side Effects?
I just talked to his Doctor. There is a possibility he has a UTI. He will see Dick before today's treatment and probably prescribe an antibiotic.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 9 months ago #18680 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Side Effects?
Julie,

Yes fever is a side effect, but you should still tell the Dr. We were told that PM fevers are sometimes due to the white blood cells getting a message that there is an infection but it is just the radiation "invading" the body. It is not always a bad sign...I would definately call the Dr., but don't worry until there is something to worry about...easier said than done I am afraid...but my best advice...

Praying for you guys,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 9 months ago #18678 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Side Effects?
Apparently Julie it can cause fever but should be reported.....
Check out this site from Yale
radonc.yale.edu/patients/chap2.htm
Pat

15 years 9 months ago #18673 by Julie
Side Effects? was created by Julie
Dick received 3 days of radiation last week. Friday night he ran a fever of 101°. He took some Tylenol but his fever didn't come down. We decided to have him sleep and check in the morning. By morning his temp was normal so we proceeded with plans for the day.
We went out for dinner with friends and went to see Kung Fu Panda. We needed light hearted entertainment. The theater is in a mall and no entrance to the mall is close to the theater and we had to go to the end of one wing for the viewing. Dick is having problems walking due to his edema, shortness of breath, and hip problems. I'm not taking him to that movie theater again.

Yesterday before the treatment we met with the oncologist who seemed concerned about how Dick seemed worse than when he first met him. We did find out the there will be 10 total treatments. The Dr. said he needed Chemo. We met with Dick's regular oncologist last Tuesday and he said due to Dick's bone marrow disorder that chemo would kill him. So the best treatment plan cannot be done.
Last night Dick ran a fever again that didn't respond to Tylenol but was normal this morning.

Can Radiation therapy cause a person to run a fever? Is it one of the expected side effects.?

I have left a message with the Radiation Oncology Nurse asking if Dick should have treatment today.

:S

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne