Thinking of each of you today

15 years 9 months ago #18505 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Thinking of each of you today
Julieann,

Plum Jam YUMMMM!!!!

I can understand where your mom is coming from...she probably doesn't want to know...I have to agree with Julie however, and I am sure that Clara will chime in here too...Radiation does help the pain...It is really nothing more than a Extrememly high powered X-Ray...it does kill the cancer in a particular area, thus really helping with the pain...

Will she get online and talk with us?

I totally understand avoiding chemo, since she saw relatives go through it, and it didn't help them, but pallitive care is for pain relief...it will give her more quality time...she will be able to do more of what she loves if she treats the symptoms as they come...

Prayers for you and yours,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #18499 by julieann
Replied by julieann on topic Thinking of each of you today
Thanks Leigh! I am up to about 100 jars so far. Mama is picking more as we speak. I plan to talk with her and I will be able to join her at the appointment since I'm out for summer break. Also Leigh....so glad to hear your good news! Keep us updated.

15 years 9 months ago #18488 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Thinking of each of you today
Dear Julie,

That is really sweet of you :)

I am sorry I cannot help with regards to what you should be looking for with your mum.

Your red flag moment for the plum jelly is surely a sign for you that your mum is not feeling her usual self. Especially after probably plucking many of the plums off the trees herself.

I really hope that she is just tired and her energy levels are low. I know when I had an appointment coming up with oncology I would nose dive into worrying about the unknown.

The CT scan sounds like a good idea and the best way to approach it with your mum is by explaning your own reasons you would like her to have them done. Your mum is one strong willed lady and will make up her own decision for the way forward.

Wishing your mum all the very best for the next appointment.

Those wild red plums sound scrumptious and yes I would love a jar of that yummy jelly.

Happy jelly making...
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 9 months ago #18480 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Thinking of each of you today
Julieann, I think you would know best whether to talk to your Mother about having a scan. I tried to put the reasons in terms that would made sense to her. Another thing you could say is that it also would help you help her. If she is the kind of person that doesn't want to think about what is going on it makes it difficult to bring matters up. I think we all have something we ignore when it comes to cancer.
Personally I'm for having things out in the open but it is not for everyone. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 9 months ago #18477 by julieann
Replied by julieann on topic Thinking of each of you today
Well thus far I have 50 jars. About that many more in the morning I think. Soooo....addresses (of course Joe) and it will be on the way. What on earth am I going to do with it all? I do use it for small gifts. I used to bake bread to put with it, but I have resorted to buying fresh sourdough loaves at the bakery in town. Anyway, I do hope to pass some of these things down, but my kids don't get why I do it when you can "just buy it." :) Maybe my daughter who is too young to help right now because there is a lot of boiling hot stuff. (She is 4) However, she loves to help in the kitchen and I try to let her whenever possible.
I plan to have a talk with Mama soon to try and see if anything is going on. I tread gently because she doesn't really want to say much. I think I would like her to have the scans in July for the reasons Julie said, but don't know if I should bring it up with her. Thoughts on that?

15 years 9 months ago #18471 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Thinking of each of you today
Can i place my order for the plum jelly? My grandmother did all that jelly and jams and fruits and baked fresh bread...I swear i can still smell her kitchen...what wonderful memories she made. I hope somehow she knew that. I hope my 3 boys a year apart (Hey and i'm still relatively sane) will remember how i would put all 3 of them on the counter to make a cake...2 got the beaters and one the bowl to lick (before we had to worry about eggs!!) My i do regress!...
My own experience with cancer is just that it is the sneakiest disease on the face of the earth. It just doesn't hurt until its somewhere it shouldn't be. Maybe the plum jelly will be the antidote? Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne