Another punch to roll with

15 years 10 months ago #17054 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Another punch to roll with
Clara, I'm relieved to learn that radiation did reduce Bob's pain. We had not even thought about radiation prior to the latest news so know nothing about how it is done, side effects etc. We see the radiation oncologist tomorrow.

I'm taking Welbutrin and I know I would not be able to get anything done without it. This journey is so unpredictable. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17011 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic Another punch to roll with
Julie,

Bob has had radiation to ribs 3 different times. The first two stopped the pain but after this last one he continues to start hurting almost every late afternoon/evening. The rib and back areas have caused most of his pain.

It is hard to deal with but we just keep praying and Bob continues to pop those pills. He too is so emotional but tries so hard to keep me from seeing him that way which I had rather him let it go. My zoloft controls a lot of my emotions which can be bad too. Sometimes I feel that my heart is just breaking into when I am really crying inside.

Prayers are with you.
Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

15 years 10 months ago #16989 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Another punch to roll with
Yesterday was the weekly visit at the Cancer Center. I am so fed up with how late the lab draws are. We got there at 1:15 so his blood work would be done and recorded before the 2 pm appointment.
He had not even been paged to have his blood draw. We wound up having to be there until 4:40 for a process that should have only taken an hour and a half.

Anyway we now have an appointment with Radiation Oncology so they can access whether they think they can help relieve the pain without too much damage to the bone marrow. The ribs are one of the places where blood cell production takes place. We saw Dick's CT scan on the computer screen. It looks like the tumor as gone through the rib. Cancer in the bone is painful, rib pain whatever the cause is among the worst I hope the radiation will help.
The next appointment at the Cancer Clinic is the same time as the nerve block is scheduled. We were told since the cancer is the cause the nerve block would probably not address the pain so I canceled the nerve block. It is getting more difficult to schedule all the appointments.

We both are on the edge of crying a lot of the time. I gave Dick the Parade article by Randy Pausch on "The Lessons I'm Leaving Behind." Dick started tearing up in the middle of the article and we were both crying by the time he finished. He said I did right by giving it to him to read and he wanted to talk about it later.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 10 months ago #16778 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Another punch to roll with
Hi Julie,

I know that all of the information is still sinking in....No need to respond...But I wanted you to know that I was just thinking about you and sending a prayer up for you and Dick.

(((Hugs)))
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 10 months ago #16776 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Another punch to roll with
Dear Julie,

My thoughts are with you guys...

Wishing all the very best.

Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 10 months ago #16738 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Another punch to roll with
Hi, dear Julie -- I think the bird shot image is right on -- damn it! I am sorry
about this news but impressed at all get out about the "another punch to roll with"
senitments. You goooooooo! I hope this is one of those situations where the
radiation intervention can be done at the smae time as chemo -- I know there
are some such situtions, but you have a pretty complex situation -- in support --
Susan

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne