Things to talk about and do when diagnosised Metastatic

16 years 1 month ago #13062 by mssmr
Thank you, Karen, for this very helpful list. In my case, money troubles haven't struck yet, but are likely to within weeks or months. I do not have "medical retirement" at work (unless I get injured on the job or sick due to workplace issues
(e.g. contamination). I do have my will, power-of-attoney, living will and medical proxy handled. But your suggestions about Social Security Disability and Insurance
come at a time when I should follow-up. Thank you, again. Susan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago #13056 by momof4
This isn't an easy topic, but it is one that needs to be addressed once you or your loved one is diagnosed with Metastatic Cancer....

1. File for Social Security Disability...It is retro-active to the date you file, and is sometimes expedited do to diagnosis. If you have minor children they will also need to file after your claim is approved.

2. Life Insurance Policies usually have a clause which pays the lump sum upon diagnosis. call your agent.

3.CD's, 401K's, usually wave the penalties when cashing out. Check your paperwork, or call your agent

4. Check to see if your retirement plan has "Medical Retirement"...If so you will quailfy to retire early and start receiving benefits now.

5. Get medical, and durable power of attorney papers drawn up and notarized.

6. Make sure your will is current.

These are difficult things to talk about with your loved one, but they are real issues especially when there are so many out of pocket expenses, and loss of income with this disease. By taking care of these things when they/you are still relatively healthy helps quite a bit. It also may afford you to do those things you always wanted to do together.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne