Questions about nutrition and blood count

16 years 3 months ago #12309 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Questions about nutrition and blood count
Karen -- Thank you, again, for the useful information and support. I will check my most recent kidney function numbers. I do hope the clinical trial proves promising.

Thanks, again, Susan (mssmr)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12264 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Questions about nutrition and blood count
Susan,

Be sure that they are keeping a close look at your Kidney function. This seems to get over looked alot. Even a slight increase in the number should be of concern because they generally do not go back up once they have reached a critical point. They are sometimes so concerned with the blood count that they don't check the kidneys. You/or your husband should keep track of those numbers.

Glad to hear you are doing so well, we are going for a consult about a clinical trial on Mon. If it looks or sounds promising I will post some new info. then. I don't want to get our hopes up, until I can talk to others in the study group...

Till Mon.,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 3 months ago #12262 by mssmr
Today, I did get a neulasta shot after a small adjustment in my chemotherapy schedule. I am also receiving procrit injections. My platelet count is staying in acceptable ranges and my red count is improving. My white count also didn't go
as low this time. I did drink a moderate amount of quinine water after seeing Karen's list and have also been taking fish oil (for months) which may be helping some. Another dietary change I made after having blood count problems was increasing zinc-rich food in my diet, which may have helped. It is hard to know about any of this. Just an update -- mssmr (Susan)

16 years 3 months ago #12097 by mssmr
Thanks for your helpful response and caring questions, Karen.

The chemotherapy nurse said that with treatments every week, the neulasta doesn't have time to work. I'll talk to the doctor about schedule or dose changes.

I'm feeling well and still working. I think I'll wait for a sign that
"working isn't working" before trying to retire early. I know that's a kind of brinkspersonship but it is based both on subjective feelings of well being (my feeling well doesn't match the images of multiple mets on my insides though) and on
faith that I'll "know" in time to act, if necessary.

The medications list you sent is helpful, thanks -- Susan (mssmr)

16 years 3 months ago #12086 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Questions about nutrition and blood count
Susan,

What was the reason they gave you about not receiving Neulasta? Since Neulasta is designed just for this purpose. Just curious.

From what we were told there are foods that will eventually raise the count, but they usually don't work fast enough as to not delay a treatment. You may ask about the dosage of Chemo they are giving you, especially if this continually happens. They may be able to lower the dosage, or change the schedule a bit. I have heard this can help.

Here is a list of other drugs that can raise or lower your WPC. You may be on something that is counteracting the desired result.

**Remember they may go by a generic name.

Drugs that may increase WBC counts include:

Allopurinol
Aspirin
Chloroform
Corticosteroids
Epinephrine
Heparin
Quinine
Triamterene

Drugs that may lower your WBC count include:

Antibiotics
Anticonvulsants
Antihistamines
Antithyroid drugs
Arsenicals
Barbiturates
Chemotherapy drugs
Diuretics
Sulfonamides

You can also get a Transfusion. Generally Ins. doesn't cover it unless it goes below a certain point (I want to say 10 but don't quote me).

How are you feeling Susan? What happened with early retirement? Are you still working?

Thinking of you,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 3 months ago #12076 by mssmr
Due to my intense (every week for 3 weeks) chemotherapy schedule, I am told I can't received neulasta, etc. But I usualy miss the third week due to low white count and low platelets. I will be asking the doctor about strategically changing the schedule, but in the mean time: Does anyone know of any dietary "boosts" for
while blood cells (to combat neutropenia)or for platelets? I heard about zinc-containing foods for platelets and after a week of seeking zinc-rich foods, my platelets did SOAR. Any other ideas? I do get Procrit for my anemia.

Thank you for any ideas.

mssmr (Susan)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne