New ct scan results

16 years 4 months ago #11768 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic New ct scan results
Aimeth,

When we had our consult with the Radiologist, we were also told that it would happen fairly quickly....I asked again when we went back last week, and they said that they tell patients they will feel some relief, but the pain will still be there, it will lessen with each session/treatment. I think that everyone is different...just like with the Chemo...it may be somewhat Psychological too...If you tell someone they are going to feel better they just may.

We will be starting Radiation either this week or right after Christmas...My husbands Scans came back showing improvement with the Chemo, so we hope to get to the pain now, and start the Chemo again in Mid-Jan.

If you are wondering why I say "WE"...it is because when I was pregnant he would say or tell others: "WE" are pregnant...I would always say yeah, but you get the easy job. so now he doesn't just have cancer "WE" have cancer...He definitely has the hard job now...He is my hero, very rarely complains, is always (or almost always) pleasant to be around, plays with the kids and really has heart to heart conversations with them, has a great sense of self, faith, and humor...all of which are so important on this journey...I wish for your husband to get relief from his pain, as I wish the same for my husband. He is on Dilaudid for pain and is up to 1 1/2 8mg pills every four hours. He wants this radiation so he can reduce the narcotics, but still have some pain relief.

Keep me posted as to how long it is taking to get some relief OK? I am very curious and you will be a bit ahead of us in this.

Thinking of you both,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11765 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic New ct scan results
Aimeth,
I cannot remember how long before Bob was in less pain but it definitely took awhile. Yes, I do think they just tell you something.
The radiation does continue to work after treatments...I have been told at least 2-3 months.

Keep us posted.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

16 years 4 months ago #11688 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic New ct scan results
Well my husband started radiation/chemo this week and he is still in pain so they had to up his pain meds. I was wondering how long it takes for the radiation to take effect on the tumor, taking the pain away or relieving it. The radiologist tech says it will take a while but our oncology nurse said its a matter of a few days. Sometimes I feel that they just like to say things just to make you feel better. Maybe there is not really a definite answer. Also he is experiencing some blood in the stool. I wonder if this is because of the radiation. We will have to wait till Monday to talk to his Dr. hopefully it will not worsen. Thanks to you all, Aimeth

16 years 4 months ago #11555 by aimeth
Thanks Wendy, I will certainly bring it up the next time I talk to his oncologist.
We start tomorrow with radiation. He has been in a lot of pain and they had to increase his pain meds. I suspect that the tumor is growing again. So I really hope that this radiation/chemo works fast on this tumor to relieve the pain. Take care, Aimeth

16 years 4 months ago #11502 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic New ct scan results

Hi Aimeth,

I am not a doctor...but my guts tell me that you have a good point, why use cisplatin if it failed in the past. I do know it's common to combine cisplatin with radiation to hopefully increase its effectiveness ( this is the protocol used in bladder sparing radiation), but it is still investigational. Radiation is the main treatment here. There are other 'platinum' drugs that are used when cisplatin fails, carboplatin for one. Newer ones are in trails. Since the doctor is already using what is an investigational approach, I don't see the harm in discussing if this is indeed the optimal drug in this case.

Cisplatin is probably the least expensive and most often used, with the newer platinums being also very effective, and hopefully, usually less toxic (carboplatin replaces cisplating in MVAC regimens on people with compromised kidney function).

Have a look through webcafe's info about clinical trials, and follow the links to the NCI's listing for metastasized blc. You will see many new platinum drugs being used in the investigational setting. You don't have to necessarily qualify for a trial, but since most of the drugs have been approved for use in other cancers, they can perhaps be tried in the setting of "compassionate use".

However, Carboplatin is such a commonly used drug I don't think you would have any trouble receiving it instead of cisplatin if that is what you and your husband prefer. People are allowed to have input on their treatment choices, and if a doctor sees an educated informed patient they are probably even relieved. Good chance.

Wishing you well,
Wendy

16 years 4 months ago #11440 by aimeth
Hi guys,

My husband will be starting radiation this up coming week. He will be taking radiation for 5 weeks so far. And now his oncologist decided to give him a dose of cisplatin once a week. He, of course is not very happy about this since chemo was very hard and brutal on him. Also, he does not understand why they need to give him more chemo since it did not appear to work before. But I understand that the combination of the radiation plus chemo has been effective in other cases. So we are hoping this will help him. In the meantime he is still in increasing pain and bleeding.

Thank you for your responses, aimeth

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne