Scaring between the urethra and NEO bladder

16 years 8 months ago #7323 by jniens
Replied by jniens on topic Scaring between the urethra and NEO bladder
Mike,

I got my neo bladder in March and have the same problems you have experienced; however, at times I have not been able to cath and have ended up in the er. Most recently, my doctor has said that I may have to continue with the bladder neck dialations indefinitely (every 3 to four weeks). Not a real pleasant thought. I have had 1 TURP and three manual dialations, those were horrible. My doctor says that additional surgery could be counter productive becasue I have ggod sexula function right now and am fully continent both day and night. He says that this would most certainly change if he went back in. Have you been given any hope. This really stinks!

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #5888 by timb
that sounds rough. I try not to cath at all as it was definitely giving me infections and isn't necessary for me. I feel pretty lucky.

16 years 10 months ago #5878 by Mike_DeRose
Replied by Mike_DeRose on topic Scaring between the urethra and NEO bladder
Tim B,
The scaring as I was told is caused by my body over healing. The area that the urethra and new bladder are connected keeps closing up due to scaring around the opening. Now I am fighting an infection and have to postpone my Cysto for atleast a week. I think cathing in general caused the infection. It is a catch 22. As the scaring increases ( a small flap of tissue over the urethra opening) I eventually will cath until a new surgery date is set again. I have a lot of issues with trying to keep the cath clean with I use it at work. So I try not to until I get home.
I hope this clears your questions up.

Sincerely,
Mike D.

16 years 10 months ago #5829 by timb
I haven't had the scarring issues you talk about although I have heard it can happen. I can sympathise with the nighttime dryness problem as this still eludes me too! I'm getting better but have heard that it can take a couple of years to attain this. Why is the scarring causing this for you? Was it explained?

16 years 10 months ago #5754 by Mike_DeRose
Scaring between the urethra and NEO bladder was created by Mike_DeRose
I have had a NEO bladder since July of 2006. I have had 14 TURBS to cut away the scaring where the urethra and the bladder connect. As I heal between each surgery a slight membrane of scare tissue forms over the opening and I them this makes urinating hard and almost impossible. I can cath until the Doc goes in and opens it back up. Normally this has lasted for about six weeks. I just had it done again three weeks ago and the issues are back already. The doc was going to try a stent two surgeries ago but said that there was not enough space between the sphinter muscle and the bladder to safely insert the stent. So I keep going through these quickie surgeries. Has anyone had these issues and any possible fixes. The Doc said that eventually the scaring would stop. It will be a year in July that I had the Neo Bladder made. This also causes problems at night keeping dry. This web site has offered a great insight to many of my questions. I hope that someone out there can offer some advice.
thats
Sincerely,
Mike DeRose

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne