DX

17 years 1 week ago #4945 by maxmag
Replied by maxmag on topic DX
Rosemary,
Just wanted to say...It's great that your doing so well.
STAY WELL!!
Max :)

Max
Age 70
Ta G2
Dx March 2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 week ago #4944 by maxmag
Hey Sandra!

Lots of interesting info in your message...Thanks for the input.
A little of my history:I'm 69 years old and this is my second
bout with cancer. I had colon cancer 7 years ago....I was lucky
that it was caught early. I did not need Rad or Chemo.
I just hope I'm strong enough to fight back like I did last time.
I had a few other health issues at that time ,but again, I fought my way back .
Someone once said "Cancer & Cure don't belong in the same sentence"
Your right,this is a wonderful site for people dealing with this disease.
It is helping me cope.
I hope,someday,I can help some other folks like your helping me.
I am glad to hear you are "clean" after your last BCG treatment.
You sound like a strong lady.
STAY WELL!!
Max

Max
Age 70
Ta G2
Dx March 2007

17 years 1 week ago #4942 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic DX
Max,

I am doing very well, thanks for asking.  My second TUR was March 2006 to remove residual tumor.  I had a biopsy at UNC Chapel Hill in May 2006.  At that point, no tumors or cancer was found.

Max and Sandra,

I'm guessing that Doctors have different opinions about Mitomycin at first TUR.  My Doc did not wait for the path.  Actually, it kind of scared me to wake up and hear that I was in the midst of chemo.  I didn't know what that meant.  However, knowing what I know now, it is my opinion that this was very good doctoring on his part.

Your BC friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 1 week ago #4940 by maxmag
Rosemary,
That is very interesting...Maybe this is just routine.
No I did not have Chemo....When I asked,I was told that Chemo is not given at the time of surgery because they have to have the results of the biopsy
first. Made sense to me...Maybe it will be done this time.
Thanks for the info about your second TUR.
How long has it been since your last TUR? How are you doing?
Well,I hope.
Look forward to talking with you again,
Max

Max
Age 70
Ta G2
Dx March 2007

17 years 1 week ago #4939 by Sandra
Replied by Sandra on topic DX
Hello Max:  Here's my take on this from what happened to me.  I had first TURBT on Nov 28th...had four tumors (two at 4 cm each) and was diagnosed BC TA G3 (high grade).  I sought a second opinion and my new Oncologist decided to take quick look before I started BCG - so he did a cysto and found two new tumors (small).  On Jan 8th I had a second TURBT to remove those tumors and "redo" the previous sites to insure nothing was left behind.  At this TURBT I was instilled with Mitomycin right after surgery - this if it does its job delays new tumors (in high grade cases) growth before you start BCG (which is about 2 to 3 weeks or after the bladder heals from the TURBT).  I completed 6 weeks of BCG and just had my check up on April 11th (three month) and was clear of new tumors and will start 3 weeks of maintenance BCG this coming week and get another recheck in July (again three months).  

Your Doctor more than likely wants you to return in six weeks to see if new tumors or residual tumors are present.  This is a good thing (for you) and it certainly was for me.  As you can see from my experience with the second TURBT (after they knew my BC was high grade) they instilled the mitomycin - and then two weeks later I started BCG.  The comment that you are putting a lot of thought too in my opinion (for whatever that is worth) means either there was cauterization (as in my first one) or some other biopsy procedure that distorted the specimen.  If indeed you do require a second TURBT they will "redo" the first sites to make sure there was not one single cell that was missed.  This is a good thing.

I liked you (and my husband like your wife) was/were pre-occupied with the "what-ifs" until we got all our information, joined this site, and decided how we were going to deal with life with it's new twist.  Also, I highly suggest that you keep all your pathology reports, blood work, etc - and seek a second opinion - from a Urologist.

This is a great site for communicating your concerns ....take care and stay in touch, Sandra

Sandra
"Grandmothers are just antique little girls...."

17 years 1 week ago #4938 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic DX
Max,

Actually, I had a second TUR 6 weeks after my first TUR along with another biopsy. This was a standard protocol for my Urologist.

Did you get a dose of Mitomycin C with your TUR?

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne