Catheter Issues

1 year 3 weeks ago #61723 by Alkamodaddy
Replied by Alkamodaddy on topic Catheter Issues
Thanks!  Lotsa good information there. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 weeks ago #61722 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic Catheter Issues
While I haven’t used dilator I did have problems in my 40’s with narrow end of urethra.  Had minor surgery to enlarge.  Not sure that’s an option with all you have going on.  My restriction was causing prostatitis due to back pressure on prostate.  Had almost chronic prostatitis until I found Urologist who opened and up and bam no more prostatitis.

I do have a lot of pain when getting catheter or scope no due to an enlarged prostate - had urolift in 2019.  Not sure that didn’t make things worse.

I have been asking for smaller gauge (French size) catheter in my recent round of BCG treatments and it has made a difference.

standard French is 16.  Yesterday the nurse found a 12 - 2 sizes smaller - and it was the best experience I’ve had to date.

so you may want to ask for smaller catheter when possible.

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

1 year 2 months ago #61603 by Alkamodaddy
Replied by Alkamodaddy on topic Catheter Issues
Hey Stu,
Thanks for the reply.  It's good to know that they use a smaller catheter.  My urologist said that I may be getting some "meatal stenosis".  In any event, I am going for a second opinion in a week and will see what he has to say. 
Henry

1 year 2 months ago #61602 by JigStep
Replied by JigStep on topic Catheter Issues
Hey Henry. I had a stricture develop after one of my TURBTs. Doc used tools of increasing size to stretch it and allow better flow. I haven't tried anything like you're describing. However for BCG instillation, I'm pretty sure they will use a much smaller catheter. I think they used a 15 French size when I had a couple of rounds with BCG. The Foleys are much larger. I've had those and they've been either 22 or 24 French. Stu

7/18 Gross hematuria; 8/18 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, LG, T1; 12/18 TURB: benign urothelial mucosa, cystitis; 9/19 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, HG noninvasive; 6/20 TURB: NED, inflammation; 10/21 TURB: NED, inflammation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alkamodaddy

1 year 2 months ago #61598 by Alkamodaddy
Catheter Issues was created by Alkamodaddy
Hi, I have had a cystoscopy and have undergone the TURBT procedure. Ended up with NMIBc Plus CIS.  Anyways, whenever they insert a catheter, they have had to "dilate" my uretra at the tip of my penis.  It ends up painful for a few days after.  It was especially bad after my TURBT procedure where the catheter had to stay in for a few days.  I am now looking at BCG for 6 weeks, so that means more catheterization.  I have found there is such a thing as a Meatal Dilator that for all intents and purposes resembles a golf tee.  You lube it, insert it in the head of the penis and gradually enlarge the opening.  Has anyone used it and if so, did it do any good.  I would like to start it before my BCG treatments.  Thanks in advance for any info.  Henry

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne