BCG Treatments - PSA Numbers Increase

1 year 10 months ago #61298 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG Treatments - PSA Numbers Increase
Jack, I appreciate your research! Thanks.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago #61297 by dtat60
Replied by dtat60 on topic BCG Treatments - PSA Numbers Increase
While I was in year 2 of BCG maintenance my PSA went from 3.2 to 5.01. My urologist put me on Cipro for 30 days and it went back to 3.4 and I have not had any problems since. 

Just an FYI, I am now in year 5 post diagnosis and my bladder finally feels almost normal. I still cannot hold a lot of urine but it feels much better.

I go for my 6 month cystoscopy next week and hoping everything is cool!!

08/16 Blood in Urine;09/16 CT Scan, RPG, Cysto;10/16 TURBT;12/08 BL TURBT;01/17 6X BCG;05/17 NED, 3X BCG, 9/17 NED, 3X BCG,1/18 NED, 3X BCG,7/18 NED, 3X BCG
The following user(s) said Thank You: nancy148

1 year 10 months ago #61296 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic BCG Treatments - PSA Numbers Increase
Nancy148,

The following link is to an article worth discussing with your care team. Individual circumstances vary, and full medical history needs to be considered.

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Elevated prostate specific antigen serum levels after intravesical instillation of bacillus Calmette-Guerin" [/font]
[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria, Times New Roman, Times, serif]pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11025701/#:~:text=Conclusions%3A%20Intravesical%20BCG%20therapy%20is,such%20patients%20and%20PSA%20monitored.
[/font]The article includes links to other articles discussing similar investigations. The articles suggest that an increase PSA  is a possibility worth considering.
[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Best,
Jack
[/font]

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan, nancy148

1 year 10 months ago #61295 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG Treatments - PSA Numbers Increase
I have not experienced nor seen anyone else post this so, this is a puzzler. That is a big enough jump that I'd certainly push your URO to do more checking. From what I have been told small increases are to be expected as a man ages. Results also above 5.0 can also be a concern although so many time tests simply put out non important data such as BCG causation.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nancy148

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #61294 by nancy148
BCG Treatments - PSA Numbers Increase was created by nancy148
Has anyone seen an increase in their PSA numbers as a result of the BCG treatments?  My husbands PSA increased from 2.4 to 7.2 after undergoing the BCG treatments.  Wondering if there is a correlation?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne