BCG

3 years 5 months ago #60112 by October28
Replied by October28 on topic BCG
Hello,

I had great pain at cystoscopies and discomfort at BCG instillation. Here is how I have finally become comfortable with both:

For BCG: On advice of an anesthesiologist, one hour before instillation I take tylenol plus motrin (standard 1000 mg plus 400 mg), this will depend on your weight, consult your Uro or PCP). I also take 1 mg Atavan to reduce anxiety. You also can apply 2.5% lidocaine cream on your penis for 5-10 minutes before insertion of the needle.

For cystoscopy I spoke up about the pain and the sense of violation, even depression that followed it. Now my cysto's are done with anesthesia in a hospital. Some Urologists will do this in their clinic with propophyl or similar amnesiac used for colonoscopies. You will need to notice on web sites that some men find the cysto easy, while some of us find it the worst experience in the whole treatment regimen. Reactions vary. Speak up on your behalf. Get something to be less present and awake during cysto and you will be fine.

Good luck.

Michael H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #60001 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG
Welcome Burner,

I don't know for a fact as I didn't ask my URO when I had BCG installations but, I believe the catheter that delivers the BCG is smaller than the scope. Either way it might be a good question to ask before you take your first treatment because of your stricture. Also, from what I remember, the actual installation was less "uncomfortable" itself than the cystoscopy. I had to remind myself both procedures would be over quickly after the prostate is passed the discomfort might have been 30 seconds. Also, I reminded myself that this is a lot less invasive and more tolerable than systemic chemo.

BCG does have side effects from possible spasms, urgency, burning, fatigues, bleeding etc. Those symptoms do seem to appear when it is more successful and become cumulative. This is all doable and beatable.

There are also some meds that your doc can prescribe to possibly help. As I did not use those there are others that might chime in here as I simply never memorized them. Pyridium is one? Simple drugs like tylenol might help. Drink lots of water to flush this stuff out once your 2 hours are up. I even tried starting water 1/2 way so it would start filling te system....experiment. Ask away as you go. You will get through this.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 6 months ago #60000 by Burner
BCG was created by Burner
Hello,
I recently had a blue light Cystoscopy with Biopsies. Told I have a high grade papillary Bladder Cancer. I have a urethral stricture, it was extremely painful. I will soon be having the BCG instillations. I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions on what if anything I can do to make this procedure more tolerable. Thanks.
Burner

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne