My new IPP and my new I(no)PP

16 years 11 months ago #5461 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic My new IPP and my new I(no)PP
Sorry for not following up on my original post, but I didn't get my IPP and I(no)PP "activated" until very recently. Because the healing takes a bit of time, they weren't actually able to work until I went back to USC last week to have Dr. Ginsberg push the secret buttons that turn them on.

First report--the AMS 800TM (I(no)PP).

The way this works is very simple. By default, the cuff that surrounds your urethra is "on," meaning it is squeezing the urethra closed. To urinate, you squeeze a little pump installed in the scrotum that opens the cuff. It stays open for several minutes, and then closes automatically.

In theory, and mostly in practice, this is wonderful. In the real world, there are a couple of drawbacks. First, if you're using a public urinal, you have to feel around for the pump and squeeze it a couple of times before you can pee. It is difficult to be totally discreet doing this. And if you're cold and have the proverbial "surf shrink" it can be hard to find the darn pump.

Those quibbles aside, I like it a lot. I haven't used a Depends at night, and have either slept right through until morning or gotten up once because I had a pressure sensation.

And in fairness to the daytime public pumping problem, it can be turned off in the daytime and reactivated before bed. I just haven't done that yet.

So, as they say in the commercials, ask your doctor about the AMS 800TM Urinary Control System. It's working for me, and working well.

As for the AMS 700 IPP, that is still a work in progress. The tubes that were installed are a little tender, and I'm inflating it a bit more every day to get used to it. So far, no real world testing. Perhaps this weekend.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 weeks ago #4726 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic My new IPP and my new I(no)PP
Hey pretty soon you will be like Steve Austin, the 6 million dollar man! Kidding aside, glad you are exploring these options and reporting back.

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

17 years 2 weeks ago #4724 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic My new IPP and my new I(no)PP
Quick update:
The pain is almost gone. That's good news--the recovery from this surgery was almost as painful as recovery from my RC. Walking was a real chore, and getting comfortable sitting or sleeping was difficult.

Before I left the hospital, Dr. Ginsberg--for reasons of healing--slightly inflated the IPP. So I've had a very subtle erection for the last week. And there's nothing I can do about it.

It's almost like being in high-school again.

T3a Grade 4 N+M0

17 years 2 weeks ago #4660 by timb
Replied by timb on topic My new IPP and my new I(no)PP
Hey Zachary
What a great deal! Let us know how things develop. I can hardly wait!

All the best

Tim

17 years 2 weeks ago #4656 by Zachary
My new IPP and my new I(no)PP was created by Zachary
My "hydraulics" surgery last Friday at USC University Hospital went well.

My surgeon was David A. Ginsberg . We met with him Thursday afternoon at Norris, and he showed us the new device (he called it an IPP--Inflatable Penile Prosthesis)--and I kiddingly asked him if it was made by Mentor. They are a good client of ours and I wanted to show some loyalty.

They aren't. They're made by AMS. The one he suggested is the AMS 700TM Series—3-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant .

So far, so good.

And then it got interesting.

He excused himself, left the room, and came back with another device. "Now this is something Mentor doesn't have" he said. It was an artificial sphincter. The AMS 800TM Urinary Control System .

It's a very simple device; a small cuff that keeps the urethra closed until it is pumped open with a little bulb and saline solution.

I hate to say, but I was almost as interested in the artificial sphincter as I was the other device.
(Guess that proves I'm not 20 anymore.)

The good news was that, with a little prodding (actually a lot of prodding), he agreed to install one at the same time he installed the IPP.

The bad news is that I'm pretty sore right now, and they won't be activated for another three weeks when I have a follow-up visit.

Imagine that. An IPP and an I(no)PP. It's like Christmas.

Fine Print: The I(no)PP is my own term, and a doctor won't know what the heck you're talking about if you ask him about one.

T3a Grade 4 N+M0

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne