Diagnosed with adenocarcinoma...now what?

3 years 8 months ago #59649 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Diagnosed with adenocarcinoma...now what?
I’m copying the reply I made on the other thread to ckfun:

Hello... I had a partial cystectomy in Feb 2010. My adenocarcinoma was 1.6 cm, so relatively small. It was in just the right spot between the ureters to make the partial possible. They got two clean margins around the tumor site and there was no lymph involvement. There has been no recurrence and this past year my urologist says he is comfortable stopping future monitoring now that it has been 10 years. I was 55 at the time. There have been no bladder issues and I consider myself to be extremely lucky that it was discovered early. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #59647 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Diagnosed with adenocarcinoma...now what?
Yes, Alan. It was Catherine Harper and she had a partial at Vanderbilt about 10years ago and is doing great. While a partial cystectomy cannot be done with “garden variety “ bladder cancer, it can be successful with some cases of adenocarcinoma. I will try to contact Catherine and see if she can add to this thread.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #59641 by Alan
There have been MANY good outcomes from a radical cystectomy. I am linking a very good site with all of the options (you'll have to copy and paste) my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion. As you will see there are 3 basic diversions of only one is the external bag. Most posters will say whatever they chose they have learned to like and accept. At Moffitt being a large facility I am presuming at least 2 and perhaps all 3 are done routinely.

Yes, this is a very rigorous surgery so learn what you both can read up on. Interestingly, I have 3 friends where each has one of the 3 available. All 3 doing well 5+ years. One plays golf 2-3 times a week, another was 81 now 86 and plays golf once a week. There is good quality of life. There are others on this board scuba diving, car racing etc.

Note to Sara Anne....if you see this. I can't remember the name of the lady that had this type of tumor with a partial done at Vanderbilt in Nashville (I am sure partials are very rare and have to fit a certain profile). Perhaps she can chime in via the board.

Later edit, it is Catherine H I believe that had the partial....again this is VERY rare.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 8 months ago #59639 by ckfun
Replied by ckfun on topic Diagnosed with adenocarcinoma...now what?
Last week we met with Dr. Wade Sexton at Moffitt.
I could not attend the meeting in person, due to the COVID19 restrictions. I hard the meeting and could respond on the phone.
Dr. Sexton is extremely competent and kind.
I still have many questions.
He mentioned the possible option of a partial, just removing the tumor and margins.
Since the 4 cm adenocarcinoma has invaded the wall and muscle, I wonder what the recurrence would be. I think he was just calming my husband and giving him hope. I have not read alot of happy endings on forums.
The local urologist seemed to think a radical was the only option.
I have my doubts that my husband could handle the pouch after a radical.
I do not know how they would determine the surgery until they see how many lymph nodes are involved.
Thanks for any opinions.

3 years 8 months ago #59592 by ckfun
Replied by ckfun on topic Diagnosed with adenocarcinoma...now what?
I will let you know how things progress.
Meeting with a local oncologist tomorrow since the appointment was made a week ago.
Thank you for your replies.
Carol

3 years 8 months ago #59590 by Alan
Moffitt has a great reputation. As you are caregiver I often find your job may be harder that the patient. Someone will be around to listen and please keep the forum posted. I find I learn a lot from everyone.. Pat yourself on the back.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne