Second Opinion

5 years 2 months ago #56690 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Second Opinion
It may hard to fathom for now on this however, you will come out of this stronger and more effective in life! One day at a time!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #56689 by tgrocky
Replied by tgrocky on topic Second Opinion
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply and the link along with questions as I printed them all out as I been doing so so so so much research on this it is unbelievable! If I remember correctly which is hard because when I talked to the surgeon after they got back my pathology report and she was talking to me well some of the info really SHOCKED me to say the least. I know she says that it is possibly stage two but she said my surgery was very challenging because of the size of the tumor and where it was. She did say it is a high grade and the position of where the tumor was they could not get I believe she said a muscle sample, she did talk to me about I may have to get a RC and she mentioned the one type called "lleal conduit" and I did not get to involved in that as for one I was kind of shocked when she mentioned that so my mind was not one asking logical questions as I was STUNNED!. So at this point I will be getting the second opinion this Friday and I will be asking a ton of questions and the ones you sent me will be q BIG help, thanks so much for sharing them. I do know he will be limited to what he will say because I think he will say a lot will depend on the second TURBT, but I just want to find out from all of the information we have now, what is his best expert opinion.

The only thing that seems to be really cool at the moment I am finally going the normal yellow instead of dark red or dark brown.

But all in all, this has CHANGED my life and how I look at things. Right now you can imagine that is all I think about. The only time I do not think about it is when I am asleep. Just like when I go to the bathroom I am afraid to look to see that it is dark brown or red again.

TGROCKY

5 years 2 months ago #56685 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Second Opinion
When there is ANY doubt a second opinion is always good. I don't remember if in prior threads if you said it was muscle invasive, high grade or questions or margins being sufficient which usually triggers a second TURB. IF, a second TURB shows stage 2 or worse (muscle invasive), then a cystectomy gives a better chance of beating this. I am linking a site on diversions (our hyperlink doesn't seem to work so copy and paste) if needed, see: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion. You want a surgeon that does 25-35+ a year as this is a complex surgery. Also I am adding a questionnaire to ask doctors so pick and choose which ones pertain to you on treatment plans. Keep posting away with questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
Attachments:

5 years 2 months ago #56683 by tgrocky
Second Opinion was created by tgrocky
This is TGROCKY again and I just wanted to update everyone that this coming Friday February 1st I will be going to get a second opinion as suggested by my Urologist surgeon. A lot of people including people at where I work think it is a good idea.

I am anxious to go as he is also a cancer doctor as well as a urologist. I have quite a few questions to ask him such as:

1. At this point after all my tests results and surgery at this point prior to my second TURBT what does he think in his expert opinion what would be the best course of treatment for me?
2. Odds of my type of cancer coming back after whatever treatment I have?
3. If it does come back will it be more agressive this time?
4. Does he think a second TURBT is necessary and why?
5. My surgeon seems to lean towards me getting my bladder removed what is your view?

My second TURBT is schedule for February 18th and then I will have to again wait for the pathlogy report, which last time took about a week. (That was a LONG week)

I thought about nothing but since I was told that I had bladder cancer on Decemember 26th, 2018, what a Christmas present. The one thing I been thinking is if they want to remove my bladder I am seriously thinking and know that I will not be able to handle that sort of change in my life as well as the responsibility of taking care of the new way I would have to go to the bathroom as my surgeon suggested it would be the stoma on the outside of my
abodemen and where a bag would be affixed. So I kind of decided to talk to the doctors about going all out with a type of chemo and just TRY and TRY that way first as all people respond differently and then if all else fails then we can talk about the removal of my bladder.

I did read on several websites that they say once you been diagnoised with cancer, it changes your life forever and they are right.

It seems that it is all I think about, even when I try to kep busy. I know some of it has to do with waiting to get my second opinion and also waiting for my second TURBT and then also waiting for that pathlogy report. I know a lot of it has to do with not knowing and waiting for these events..

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne