how will i urinate after my bladder is removed

6 years 1 month ago #54931 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic how will i urinate after my bladder is removed
There are three primary types of diversion when a bladder is removed. Below is a link to a web site that has a really good explanation of what these are:

my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion

A few things to remember/think about. No matter which diversion you chose, a large part of the success of the procedure is the expertise of the surgeon. All urologists are trained as residents to do the ileal conduit, which is the most simple. Many never get beyond this, and so always recommend it and have really good "reasons" why this would be the most appropriate, no matter who the patient is. You need to find a urologic surgeon who does many of these surgeries a year.

Next, no matter which diversion you might decide that you want, it will depend on what the surgeon discovers once he/she has started the surgery. You may come out with a different kind.

Third, no matter which diversion patients have, most people adapt to their new normal and lead full and comfortable lives.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knifedealer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 1 month ago #54930 by pomona
what equipment is available after a male bladder is removed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne