Working of BCG in bladder

6 years 6 months ago #54191 by petman
Replied by petman on topic Working of BCG in bladder
Sean,
Sara Anne was correct. I had my cystoscopy today and there were no tumors. Now I await my urine result, if there are any cancer cells in my bladder.
Petman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sean T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #54175 by Sean T
Replied by Sean T on topic Working of BCG in bladder
Sara Anne gave me the same BCG treatments "add up" analogy and it helped me a lot too, and I think it is spot on.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!

6 years 6 months ago #54130 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Working of BCG in bladder
Thanks for the kind words, Petman! That "we are not doctors" is sort of a "cya." We have to be so careful NOT
to give MEDICAL advice or to give the impression that we have authoritative answers.

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 6 months ago #54128 by petman
Sara Anne,
I know you are not doctors on the Forum, but your replies to me and others in understandable language is greatly appreciated.
Petman

6 years 6 months ago #54127 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Working of BCG in bladder
You should call your urologist and tell him about your problems. I suspect that it is just that the effects of the BCG are starting to "add up." This is exactly what you want to happen. But if you are having issues, you need to let the doctor know. We are not doctors here.

IF the tumor were growing, I strongly doubt that you would feel it for several years if then.

As for preparing the BCG, all this involves is adding a little water to the dried stuff which is in a vial. You or I could
do it if shown once. My doc's assistant always did this! It is no big deal.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 6 months ago #54126 by petman
Thank you Sara. Anne for your reply.
I was clean after my 6 BCG treatments as well as after my first 3 BCG treatment. I finished my second 3 four weeks ago and will have my cystoscopy in two weeks.
I asked the question, because it feels like something is going on in my bladder, since the last treatment. Maybe a tumor is growing and going into the muscle.
To add to my paranoia the medical facility I go for treatment has an old and new facility. The new facility pharmacists prepare the BCG and doctors administer the BCG. In the older facility nurses prepare and administer the BCG, which I did not know until my last 2 treatments were done there, because of my schedule.
Petman

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne