Confused with the exam

6 years 9 months ago #53603 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Confused with the exam
I will pile on and second Sara Anne/s advice and also agree 6 month is the minimum!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago #53602 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Confused with the exam
I will pile on and second Sara Anne/s advice and also agree 6 month is the minimum!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 9 months ago #53597 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Confused with the exam
Welcome to the Forum!! Please remember that we are not doctors, but give you the best non-doctor info we can!!

The usual protocol for bladder cancer exams is every three months for two years, then every six months until 5 years have passed, and then every year forever. However, if there is a recurrence, the clock starts all over again. A "benign" polyp is sort of "iffy." I understand your husband's concern and I think I would discuss this with the doctor and request at least a six-month exam.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 9 months ago #53596 by demsdems
Confused with the exam was created by demsdems
My husband had is 6 month exam for bladder cancer that he has had since 2001. In 2013 there was a polyp and was removed and then in 2014 he needed surgery and chemo and was fine till December 2016 when a polyp was found and was benign. The doctor has always been very thorough with the exam. This time he was so fast and said not to come till one year. We thought that was strange since 6 months ago there was a poly; even though it was benign. The polyp was denuded which when I looked on the web seemed to be a precurser cancer. Which means in his case it will again come back.

We are just confused that after all this time he wants him to come back in one year. Are we and our children confused are is this a normal practice.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne