RC and Cancer Returns

8 years 3 months ago #50419 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic RC and Cancer Returns
Sorry you have to be with us but welcome. I am ten years out of an RC and also have one kidney. My friends would tell you that I have never been normal but my life is as normal as it was before my DX. There are no promises with cancer but there is every reason to have hope. More people are surviving cancer than ever before and receiving the best treatment you can find ups your odds. That might be the message you give the kids if they are old enough to understand. I hope you become part of our community we offer each other a lot of support and that can help a little on this journey.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #50414 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic RC and Cancer Returns
Hi
I had my bladder removed 7 Years ago and I have been cancer free since.
I was lucky because the cancer was contained inside the bladder an did not perforate the bladder walls.
Your husband had cancer outside the bladder and now has cancer in his bladder. I sincerely hope they are unrelated and this will be the end of it.
But cancer is a very tricky devil. Even though I have been cf for 7 years, I still worry that one of those little cells will take up residence somewhere.
Each day is a blessing and I remain very optimistic about my future.

I hope that the RC is successful and you can respond back in 7 years and say your husband is still cf

Sincerely
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

8 years 3 months ago #50413 by andmaghan
RC and Cancer Returns was created by andmaghan
My husband is having his RC with a neobladder on January 22. He had his left kidney, ureter and bladder cuff removed 2013. I told our children "we are lucky he can have his kidney removed along with the cancer". Well, it came back and now he needs his bladder out. I told our children "we are lucky he can have his bladder taken out along with the cancer", but now they are questioning me - it came back before will it come back again? I have been reading where many people have had their bladder taken out and the cancer shows up somewhere else. Is there anyone out there that has had their bladder out at least 7 years and the cancer has not returned? I'm really beginning to get scared and am not sure how to answer our kid's questions.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne