Why not BCG before bladder removal

8 years 5 months ago #49820 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Why not BCG before bladder removal
Glad to hear the good news.

While Ocovite certainly won't hurt you (it is a multi-vitamin very similar to many sold over the counter....), it and a very similar formulation called Bladder 2.2 are just that....fairly good vitamins. Whatever caused your bladder to become cancerous happened over a long period of time...as long as 30 years ago.
We don't know all the factors that can cause bladder cancer, except that smoking is one. But you would have had to address whatever it was a long time ago.

Vitamins cannot cure cancer. A good,healthy life style is always a good idea.

Good luck on your BCG adventure.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulb
The topic has been locked.
8 years 5 months ago #49819 by paulb
Replied by paulb on topic Why not BCG before bladder removal
Hi everyone,

I have had my TURBT done today with no extra or multifocal growth indicated. My doctor now is recommending BCG treatment starting on 11/30. I am relieved about this. I have been taking oncovite since the last TURBT every day. I have heard both good and bad about it but not sure if it worked or not for me . Anyway thought I would pass this on to the rest of the group as I continue my treatment.

Thank You

Paul
8 years 8 months ago #49136 by OldEngineer
Replied by OldEngineer on topic Why not BCG before bladder removal
Paul - I defer to others on this site like Sara Anne who have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do, but from what I have read, bladder removal is not quite what it sounds like; you actually have a "replacement" bladder installed (called a "neo bladder") made from part of your small intestine. Depending upon the circumstances of your specific situation and the skill of the surgeon, the end result may not be much different than having your original bladder although the neo bladder is likely to have less capacity. Hopefully others who have had this procedure can give you first-hand experience. Very best to you - hope everything turns out well.

T1 high grade transcell diagnosed 8/14/2015
TURBT 8/21/2015, removed tumor (17mmX14mmX11mm)
Repeat TURBT performed 9/25/2015
Pathology Report: no residual cancer detected
BCG planned starting in October
8 years 8 months ago #49135 by paulb
Replied by paulb on topic Why not BCG before bladder removal
Thank You,

I live a long way from my hospital and I had 15 minutes of consultation with my Doctor. It did not hit home until I did. Thanks soo much for being there for me. The way I am I might not have slept tonight without your kind response. I am an outdoors person and I love being in the woods.

Paul
8 years 8 months ago #49134 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Why not BCG before bladder removal
So sorry to hear about your issues.

BCG cannot be given if there is any chance that there is even irritation in the bladder lining. You have just had several biopsies and have healing open wounds.. The BCG would be absorbed into your bloodstream and you could be one very sick guy. That is why there is such a delay between biopsies and beginning of BCG treatments. Several times while I was undergoing BCG there was irritation of the bladder FROM THE BCG and we had to wait a week or two before resuming treatment.

Sometimes, bladder cancer just keeps coming back, over and over. Yours appears to have returned at least once. IF they find more tumors at your next exam, the urologist will probably discuss the option of bladder removal vs BCG. The issue is that if the bladder lining just keeps "popping out" tumors, they could easily get out of hand pretty fast. This is a difficult decision and will take a lot of back and forth discussion with your urologist, and, preferably, a second opinion at a really good bladder cancer center.

If you read the posts under "invasive" here in the Forum, you will find that there are lots of people living very full lives without a bladder. It does take some adjustment, but they are scuba diving and driving race cars....

We will keep really good thoughts for you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
8 years 8 months ago #49133 by paulb
Why not BCG before bladder removal was created by paulb
I had large baseball size tumor (TCC) removed by operation in January. It had a small stalk and was not into the muscle. Last Monday I had two biopsies they came out as T1. Today I was told to wait for the next appointment Nov 2 for another TURBT. If malignant or other growth as the last I was told the bladder may have to be removed . If not then I would get BCG treatment to clean out the bladder. Why would the doctor wait three months and not treat sooner with BCG which is the lesser fear.I do not know why the doctor jumped to the idea of bladder removal when there is time to do the BCG now. I do not know much about life without a bladder but the whole idea just does not sound right.

Paul
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne