Nighttime Neobladder Continence Solutions

9 years 5 months ago #47159 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Nighttime Neobladder Continence Solutions
Better living through Scientific thought

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #47158 by Judy
My husband finally has the secret to sleeping dry. Here is what we do:

he uses an adhesive Rochester condom catheter;
finding that they can slip off or leak, we pull up a Depends on him and I make a hole strategically placed so the tip of the condom cath goes through it, then we connect it to the collection bag. The Depends serves to hold the condom on better and catch any leaks--but he's had none!!

Brilliant plan if I do say so myself!

Good luck!

Judy

9 years 5 months ago #47142 by Mikelcharles1
Replied by Mikelcharles1 on topic Nighttime Neobladder Continence Solutions
I feel that as long as I'm able I will scream from a mountain top to get the word out about BC. Perhaps if we knew more before Jim's diagnosis we may not have dismissed his frequency as readily as an age, guy thing! Who knew? Not us!

10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #45038 by GroundedFlyer
Replied by GroundedFlyer on topic Nighttime Neobladder Continence Solutions
I gave up on achieving night time continence and there's nothing more uncomfortable than a five-pound wet Depend. I rely on external catheters and a urine collection bag. I tried the Pop On that Mike uses successfully but they didn't work well for me. I've used Rochester UltraFlex for over a year. Be warned if there is a molecule of moisture on your penis they will leak.

On my last order I got some Rochester Spirit hydrocolloid adhesive sheath Style 3 on my last order. They seem more reliable but can be a literal pain to get off in the morning. And they are more expensive at $1.60 than the UltraFlex at $1.26 each. They're a little less in lots of 30 or 100. It's a small price to pay for a good night's sleep and dry sheets in the morning.

I tried some other brands and styles but the products from Rochester seem to work best for me.

I got a Norelco bodygromer for the hair issue. It's more comfortable for me than a razor. However, it will occasionally 'bite' if not held in perfect contact with the skin.

12 years 8 months ago #38623 by mmc
Joel,

I'll answer your PM here so more people get to see it as I expect this is a question that many men would have.

I never encourage condom catheter use unless one is just absolutely exhausted from lack of sleep while trying to train themselves for night time continence or if they've given up on the idea. Not everyone achieves it and the Depends and being wet is a big pain.

So, if you think getting night time continence is an option, don't use condom catheters except as an exception situation.

As for me, I've pretty much given up on the idea. I can take a nap for about 30 minutes or so if I empty right before but I can't to much more than that.

There are products out there (vibrating alarms that click to nightwear or that come as watches with vibration enough to wake people) that may help. Set the alarm for every couple of hours, empty completely and then set it for a couple more hours. Slowly stretch the time until it is too long and then cut it back a bit to be on the safe side.

Personally, I'm trading off getting a good nights sleep every night (by using the condom catheters) for waking up every couple of hours like I used to have to do because of enlarged prostate issues. I could probably do that if I wanted and be relatively safe (without leaking) but it's a matter of convenience and choice.

Again, if you (or anyone else reading this) still thinks there is a potential for night time continence, then don't use these condom catheters for long (if at all).

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 8 months ago #38620 by mmc
Rochester has a style called Pop-on and they are intended for retraction issues.

I use the wide band Rochester style. No the 'wide' has nothing to do with where I am putting it, it has to do with the adhesive band being wider so it can deal with retraction. Definitely don't want to too small or too large.

Hey, it's the "in" thing to shave there now so that should solve the problem with getting hair stuck. OK, you don't really need to shave but using trimmers to keep hair short is worth the effort to not have the problem with the adhesive.

I also stay away from the kind that have the wraparound band to help keep them in place. Don't want to cut off the circulation and you have to be very careful with that kind so you don't impede blood flow.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne