Post Surgery Prostate Pathology

16 years 11 months ago #4643 by Joker_152
Replied by Joker_152 on topic Post Surgery Prostate Pathology
Just found this thread, guess I wasn't paying attention.

Add me to those who were found to have initial stages of prostate cancer when the portion of prostate removed during partial prostatectomy(?) was fully biopsied. My Doctor decided that warranted presenting my case to the Moffitt Tumor Board. They agreed that since the prostate cancer was early stage, small (5% of sample), that the margins were clean, and that there was no indications of anything in the lymph nodes, chemo was not necessary. Thank God!

George
56 yrs old
RC/Neobladder 2/2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #2031 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Post Surgery Prostate Pathology
Im ok thanks. Its been a bit up and down with UTIs which REALLY lay you up! I think most mens perception of a uti is a bit of a fizzy pee. but these ones lay me up in bed big time. I get bad night sweats and my appetite vanishes, I get headaches and lose interest in pretty much anything. but im coming out of the last one now so on the up again. prior to this i had 4 or 5 great days feeling really almost normal and taking walks in the autumn sunshine.

Had catheter out today and, like you mike, I had pretty mixed feelings. but i feel much more normal (if a little moister) with it out. and im on the next phase which is great. my nurse just whipped it out incredibly quickly. I respected her nerve but was glad that there were no adhesions!

My initial response has been i guess the same as everybody's in that im pretty incontinent. i've hesitantly started the pelvic floor exercises but im really not 100% confident im doing the right thing. still, its only this morning the cath came out and i know from reading posts on here that patience is essential.

the prostate stuff has thrown me a bit I must admit. I'm kind of stuck between feeling vindicated in making my decision and groaning at the prospect of the additional follow-up that will undoubtedly follow. on balance im pleased about getting rid of both cancers in one go though. and if one must have an additional cancer then its a pretty good way to find out!

17 years 4 months ago #2018 by mikmckna
Replied by mikmckna on topic Post Surgery Prostate Pathology
Tim,

EXACTLY the same results from my path report. At 45, my Uro did not even consider that PC was worth checking for. I got my path report one or two days after surgery. I was still pretty hopped up on drugs and remember very little BUT i do remember vividly my Dr bouncing into my room later in the evening and out of breath. He had run up to tell me. I think he had a bit of guilt on his mind since he really did lean on me a bit to go the RC route. Obviously the PC discovery made my choice seem as if it was meant to be.

How goes the recovery process. I imagine your learning to use your new plumbing by now? Hope all is well!

Believe in yourself,
Mike
T1-G3, CIS
RC w/ Neobladder 8/22/06

17 years 4 months ago #1975 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Post Surgery Prostate Pathology
Oh my gawd Tim! That's weird, I agree. First of all, many congratulations that the margins were clear! And I bet you're glad to know you got rid of two cancers for the price of one.

You always read how autopsies show men having lived very long with prostate cancer. I guess there are simply no stats on just how early it can show up.

Pretty scary.

Glad to hear you're feeling ok otherwise.

Wendy

17 years 4 months ago #1960 by timb
Post Surgery Prostate Pathology was created by timb
I just had my histology results post my radical cystoprostatectomy and neobladder op and it threw up some interesting curve balls. my lymph nodes are all fine and all the margins associated with the bladder completely clear which is excellent news. the weird bit is that when they examined the prostate that had been removed, they found "very early" prostate cancer (gleason grade 6, early stage). I've been told its not a worrisome turn of events and that it actually means I made a very good choice in having the surgery. the prostate cancer was a complete suprise to my surgical team and is totally independent of the bladder cancer. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. Im pretty young for prostate cancer at 43. pretty shocking at first but now i feel kind of smug that i had it taken out. smug and a bit weird!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne