Stage II bladder cancer

16 years 5 months ago #10159 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Stage II bladder cancer
Peter,
Hey, and you just quit smoking as well, thats enough stress right there,,you have a double whammy. Gene had his last cigarette before walking into the Cleveland Clinic the morning of surgery..keep busy busy busy,,,get some nicotine gum, anything that helps,,I told Gene we should fly down to Arizona to help you through, wouldn't mind the sun and the mountains and seeing you through...I thought I would have to knock him out 2 days prior to surgery, his angst was awful..call us anytime...we are now pouch related..Ginger or soon to be

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10154 by PeterK
Replied by PeterK on topic Stage II bladder cancer
Correction on date. I go in on 11/14 for th RC. Lots a week somehow.

Peter

16 years 5 months ago #10151 by PeterK
Thanks again for everybody's responses and I am taking your advice and suggestions. At this point, the initial tests CAT, Bone scan and chest X-ray do not show any spread. Nevertheles, my urologist graded the tumor, but could not assess any level of spread, etc. I go in for the RC this Wednesday (11/09)and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my lymph nodes, etc do not show any cancer. While I have a high level of stress, I have no pain or discomfort and I'm able to urinate a lot better since the TRP. I keep telling myself to take it one day at a time. I continue to force food down and am drinking a lot of V-8 vegetable juice. As a side note, I have a great urologist (Michael Chasin)who practices in Mesa, AZ. I saw him on Wednesday (10/10/07), on Thursday (10/11/07) he identified the tumor(s) and gave me immediate relief via a catheter and leg bag. He performed the TRP and identified cancer on Saturday (10/13/07, and put me in touch with a top surgeon who I met on 11/01. I don't think I would have gotten an appointment so soon with the surgeon without Dr. Chasin's referral and reputation in the medical community. Sorry about blathering away, but it seems to help the stress. Thanks to everybody that has responded to my post with help and advice, particularly Gene and Ginger who have provided such tremendous support.

16 years 5 months ago #10144 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Stage II bladder cancer

Hi Peter,

Sorry about the scary dx, but it sounds like you're on the right path, and it's great to have a supportive wife there too. About stress and crappy appetite, these two things continue to haunt me as well, though my treatments for breast cancer ended 2 yrs ago (after 5 yrs of anti=hormone drugs). I realize this is a different situation than yours is, but stress is stress. I have valiums in my nighttable, sometimes they sit there unopened for months, sometimes I need one to sleep, sometimes I need one to take the edge off and I always need them before going to the doctor for anything- I have severe doctor and needle phobia! Anyway, my point is that it's possible to have something like an anti-anxiety med on hand, and doesn't mean you're weak, a wimp or will get addicted.

As for poor appetite, I agree with Joe and Pat who said eat a quarter pounder or shake if that is what will go down. This isn't the time to worry about whether it's organic etc...just eat what appeals to you. If it weren't for dark chocolate I would have faded away by now. :P

It's probably stress that's causing this. And it is totally normal to be stressed when pondering cystectomy. T2, NO, MO is a good diagnosis, all things being relative. You can have every expectation of a total cure with good surgery. Life will change...but I never cease to be amazed at the resilience of the human spirit and how people adapt and survive.

Take care,
Wendy

16 years 5 months ago #10107 by joeburg55
Replied by joeburg55 on topic Stage II bladder cancer
Hi, My name is Joe, I had grade 3 t2n0m0, i also have stress attacks better known as axiety attacks, (cant spell for crap)And when i was first told that i had it, my appitite went way off,I can tell you this, if its Quater pounder with cheese that you will eat, then eat it. It may not be the healthist thing for ya, but you need to eat. When the Chemo Monster shows up, he is going to take your want of food away quick. so gain some weight before its time. Also for me it was ice fishing, Even when i felt at my lowest i went, it just lifted my spirits, it good exsersise and it helped keep my mind off of things.

Good Luck
Joe

16 years 5 months ago #10052 by PeterK
Hi Maria,

Thanks for your post. I will keep you in my prayers. Hang in there. Don't stop eating, force it down if you have to keep up your strength and not lose too many pounds. May our doctors get all our cancers and we live cancer free going forward.

Regards,

PeterK

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne