3 weeks post op, doing pretty well...

16 years 5 months ago #9422 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic 3 weeks post op, doing pretty well...
Andrea, What a mess for you and mom and dad, By now mom is probably stressed, and dad??? I can offer this, when he gets situated you may want to help mom out with any kind of help you can mustar up. Shopping, laundry, or just a long visit to get them over this hump. Some of the things you were use to as a routine are still not in site, so be creative, any cheering up is good for both of them. We being 5 weeks out of surgery have done the movies, we are in repeat mode, I actually had 3 pedicures since home, thats alot for 5 weeks, so I have to find something new. My husband is 66, he had the outside bag instead of the neo. Our motto was , let it flow. For dad I hope his situation levels out, and for mom patience is needed in bundles for recovery..I will say a prayer, no ER this coming week..Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #9397 by dadhasbc
Replied by dadhasbc on topic 3 weeks post op, doing pretty well...
Well every day is an adventure, and today is no exception. I guess since they told dad to just let things drip and not to practice Kegels, they also told him that he did not need to wake up every couple of hours to void. So, this morning he woke up very uncomfortable and dry...couldn't empty. So, mom took him back to emergency (and this time managed to make enough noise that they took him right in), and they took him right in. The urologist (his surgeon one) was in the building and came down to see him. Dad sat in a chair, or on the bed, and the strain of doing so, emptied his bladder. I guess his doc took a peek and said there was at least a cup of mucous there. He figured since the catheter wasn't working well, the mucous probably built up, so this was probably the best thing that could have happened...get rid of it all at once. I'm hoping if dad has problems emptying again, he'll remember the trick of sitting down a little forceably, and it will work again!! andrea

16 years 5 months ago #9365 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic 3 weeks post op, doing pretty well...
One thing I should mention is that I was extremely apprehensive about having my catheter taken out. My mucus volume seemed so high that I couldn't imagine how--without the big tube of a catheter to help--all that mucus could pass through unaided.

My fear, as usual, was for naught.

As I've said before, I've never had to self-catheterize and have never had any "back pressure." In fact, the only time I had a panic situation was shortly after my turb when I still had a catheter installed (the "dam" was passed after a few minutes of pain).

I'm sure they wanted to keep your dad's catheter in just to be on the safe side, but since it came out prematurely, the advantages of installing it were outweighed by the disadvantages. I'm very glad he's doing well with it out.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 5 months ago #9361 by dadhasbc
wow, I'm surprised that they wouldn't monitor you more closely during that phase, but I guess only you will know if you are getting lots out or not. Dad seems to think he is emptying fine. He was told not to do any kegels yet...just practice emptying. He is actually much more comfortable with the catheter out. He had a lot of pain with it, and said he kept mentioning to nurses and doctors that he thought there were issues with the placement. Apparently, it was only in an inch or two and the balloon wasn't inflated. I don't know if it was ever in properly, or if it was working its way out over time.

Anyway, thanks Zach for your reply. I just found it funny that they were going to leave it in for another couple of weeks, and do a contrast rad to check before pulling, but now that its out, "oh well". a

16 years 5 months ago #9301 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic 3 weeks post op, doing pretty well...

I can only tell you my experience. Two or three weeks after my surgery I went back to USC to have my catheter removed, and that was that. The nurse explained kegels, and I didn't go back to see them for six months.

If you have concerns, please discuss them with your doctor. One thing to consider, though, is that your dad's bladder needs to expand from lots of liquids, so for a while he's going to be drinking more than he is comfortable with.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 5 months ago #9299 by dadhasbc
Ok, here is the scoop, his doctor does not want to try the catheter again, and is leaving it out. So, he told dad he needs to try emptying the bladder, and he will also be dribbling. I'm a little surprised that yesterday he needed it for another three weeks, and now its ok to have out.

So, now, he will see him again next Tuesday. My question I guess is will dad be able to empty himself efficiently? For others that have learned, were you more closely monitored during that time period than weekly? I just think that if he is not able to empty well enough, he can do a lot of damage to the neobladder in a week!! He is not to try working on continence yet, just emptying. Any thoughts? andrea

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne