16 years 5 months ago #8936 by dar
Replied by dar on topic one month,post-op appt. here's the poop
Thanks Ginger. Your updates help.

Husband's RC 9/24/07
Ron is 66 yrs old and retired
DX 6/13/07, T1 G3 Cancer
Hospital: MD Anderson Caner Center
Surgeon: Dr Colin Dinney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #8922 by cathy
Replied by cathy on topic one month,post-op appt. here's the poop
Thanks Ginger, I really do think that those questions/answers will help people, as difficult as it is dealing with those issues, it is reassuring to know that these things are normal & expected after the surgery & that given time it will improve, I am glad that he is feeling a bit better today.
Cathy

16 years 5 months ago #8916 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic one month,post-op appt. here's the poop
Excellent, excellent questions, and thanks for sharing the answers.

I've been urging people to make sure they write their questions in advance so that when they're in the doctor's office they don't get so rattled or distracted that they forget what they wanted to know. You obviously put some thought into your questions.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 5 months ago #8908 by Gene Beane
one month,post-op appt. here's the poop was created by Gene Beane
Or in our case no poop. That was a major question to Dr. Campbell, why all the gas, cramping and some nausea. 3 AND 4 DAYS WITHOUT GOING.
Dr. Campbells answer to this... when having this surgery the bowels are moved away to get to the bladder, they don;t like it and stay angry for a period of time.
Question, do I need to stay away from certain foods to help this?
Answer: Not at all, we want you to eat all the protein veggies, pizza, whatever you can to put weight back on since you are down 30 pounds. Try Milk of Magnesia for help.
Question: by ginger, Gene has had alot of depression this week, seeing himself as so skinny and old looking, muscle tone gone, flabbyness arms and legs.
Answer:When you have a r/c the medications, anethesia, etc. play havoc with your system, the muscle tone will return, the depression is from all the months of getting to this day, which is a month from surgery, at this point we see this with many patients. Today I will now allow you to drive, within reason, get back to living is my perscription for the depression, but, we have a good support group here with pherapists if you feel you need some help with the issue.
Question: When will my leaking stop from the penis.?
Answer: Probably one week or two. This leaking is from the surgery site, the body will absorb it in time, this is not unusual. (our diversion, outside bag with stoma)
Question: My leg does not work the same since surgery, The physical therapist said maybe a nuerlolgist is in order? I have pain and funny feeling in it?
Answer: We can have you see a nuerologist, I feel that time will help all the nerves get back to business, as well as with walking, walking, walking. When lymph nodes are removed, alot of digging and moving things around, the nerves also get angry, need time to heal,you will feel tingling,odd sensations for a while.
Remember were here if you choose the nuerology request.
Question: Why am I spared from Chemo and radiation as many are not?
Answer: there is no sign of cancer in your path report. We believe in our pathologists and for you being cancer free in our eye you will not benefit from it.Your cancer was contained inside the bladder, same result after surgery and in path report, no chemo , no radiation.
Question: Is going to Vegas on an airplane okay within a month or so?
Answer: ABSOLUTELY!! Now its about getting back to living, if Vegas is your choice, go for it!!!!!

Dr. Campbell: ITS ALL IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER, YOU THINK YOU LOOK BAD, WE LOOK AT YOU AND THINK" WOW, HOW GREAT YOU LOOK, ONE MONTH AFTER SURGERY"""
See you in 5 months!!!!!

Guess what! I FORGOT TO ASK ABOUT SEX, FUNNY ISN'T IT,,DIDN'T EVEN OCCUR TO ME..I AM SURE WE WILL KNOW WHEN ITS THE RIGHT TIME, AND IF MR. HAPPY ISN'T UP TO IT, WE HAVE OUR BRAIN AND OUR VISION, AND MAYBE A JUST BIG HUG!!!!!!!

If this post helps someone, to know what to expect, and to go on, then I have won. The depression has lifted somewhat by todays visit to the Cleveland Clinic and Dr. Campbell's good advice. Love to all, Ginger

And to boot we drove thru Cleveland on the way home at 5:00PM, INDIANS FANS GOING TO THE GAME TONITE, HOW EXCITING!!! GO TRIBE BEAT THEM RED SOX!!!!!!

(good nite Claire, wish you could have been so fortuneate)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne