So, now for the complications....

16 years 5 months ago #9081 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic So, now for the complications....
Andrea, Feed him lots of chocolate milk shakes, my husband has gained 6 pounds this week, he was 185 in the beginning of this thing, went down to 152, and is now 158. Lots of milk shakes!!!!!!
Ginger Beane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #9039 by dadhasbc
Replied by dadhasbc on topic So, now for the complications....
More update, my dad was released again yesterday, finishing a course of oral antibiotics. He looked pretty good last night, just somewhat uncomfortable, and napping alot, but I suppose that is a good thing as it will give him time to heal. He's lost a lot of weight, which he can't afford to lose, but he's starting to get a bit of an appetite so we can hopefully get him gaining fairly soon, or at least stop losing.

I am getting my parents onto this forum, I think reading some of the posts will help them to understand the recovery is a process and has to be approached day by day or by baby steps. So many of you are in a similar stage of recovery as my dad, or about to go through surgery, I think they will really benefit keeping in touch.

Thanks again for all of your help! andrea

16 years 5 months ago #8918 by cathy
Replied by cathy on topic So, now for the complications....
Andrea, I am so sorry to hear that your father is so unwell after his surgery, I will be thinking of you guys & hoping the antibotics kick in & that he is feeling alot better very soon.
And yes I would be asking to see his records to check if there was any sign of temp before he was discharged,all the best.
Cathy.

16 years 5 months ago #8903 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic So, now for the complications....
How the hell could these nurses be touching your Dad and getting him dressed and not know that he felt warm and also when you are running a fever you don't look the best either. No hospital needs a bed this bad to let a man leave the hospital with a fever TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR. Joe

16 years 5 months ago #8896 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic So, now for the complications....
My father, too, had a major complicaton just one day after being released from the hospital. He had a leak where the ureter joined the conduit which filled his abdomen with bacteria and caused a MAJOR infection. He had to go the to ER and was readmitted to the hospital for an 18-day stay. I also wondered why they let him out of the hospital without doing some tests that could have caught this problem before it got as bad as it did. This complication was much harder to recover from than the cystectomy and he's still taking one day at a time in his recovery process. He also had a hugely swollen scrotum as a result of the cystectomy and this is still somewhat of a problem almost 6 months after surgery. His problem also happened on a weekend (Sunday), but luckily I was able to get in touch with his urologist who was also his surgeon who met us at the ER and brought a general surgeon with him in case there was a bowel blockage involved.

Did they check for leaks? They had to put a pelvic drain in Dad's abdomen and run it out his right butt cheek to drain off the fluids that had collected in his abdomen. They also put him on massive antibiotics, protonix, lasik, TPN and no telling what else through a pic line.

It was a horrible thing to happen but that is one of the known complications that can occur with a cystectomy. The doctor later apologized to my Dad and told him that Dad was the bravest man he knows.

I know what you are going through. Hopefully they will find out what is happening with your Dad and get it corrected.

16 years 5 months ago #8873 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic So, now for the complications....
Andrea,
Once again, how a slip up from the staff can make your life miserable, and his for God's sakes. Frankly, this is "bull shit", GET ON THE PHONE UNTIL YOU GET THINGS RIGHT, STAND IN THE DOCTORS FACE AND LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. And most of all don't let dad come home until he is clear. If you haven't checked on him what would have happened. This infuriates me, this shouldn't happen. All the time and prep to do this surgery and he is overlooked by a temperature. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I can't talk about infection, or help your cause on procedure, but for sure this is INCOPETENT CARE.. KEEP US INFORMED..... Ginger Beane

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne