Dad 4 days post-op Neobladder...what to expect now?

16 years 6 months ago #8614 by Stephany
and oatmeal....lots of oatmeal, to get the digestive system working again. That's what worked for my husband after his R/C

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8610 by Gene Beane
Good to hear your dad is doing well. It would help to know how old he is and what kind of shape before the surgery. My husbands 3 weeks out of surgery and I find he needs me around for sure the first 2 weeks and probably the second two with my being able to leave him intermitenly. So I would say, stick around there's alot to do to help out. With incontinence I have been buying the serenity breifs with a pad for my husband. He won't need them forever just for a period of time. Its important that your dad has a good diet, I find myself buying lots of fruits and veggies, ask the Doctor about that for him. Hope I have given you so guidence, theres more qualified members to ask for the neo bladder info.... Your friend, Ginger

16 years 6 months ago #8609 by momof4
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your Dad, but glad they seem to have been able to control the cancer. Do you live in the US? I am asking because I was under the impression that it was standard to have Chemo either before or after surgery, especially if the cancer metastized (spread) to another organ (you said the path report showed cancer in the prostate)? Was this a separate type of cancer? I could be wrong, and I am sure that someone will correct me if I am.

As far as help after surgery, I have no information to give you as I have no experience with that, but there are many that will surely give you that info...

Good Luck to your family,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 6 months ago #8608 by Zachary
Those questions are not only good questions, but they lead to other questions as well.

The answer is.....Depends. In more ways than one. I've been in your father's shoes, and I'm going to PM you my phone number. I can answer many of the practical questions and concerns you have. Right now we have four dogs (two of our own, and two foster dogs) that are making it almost impossible for me to type. I can talk, though... ;D

And congratulations on a successful surgery.

Zach

Updated--the dogs are now asleep.
It was three months to the day after my surgery before I was confident enough to leave the house without a Depends. Now, a year later, I'm absolutely fine during the day. I had an artificial sphincter installed that also keeps me continent at night. So I have no problems or complaints.
When your dad gets home he is definitely going to need your mother's help. His bladder will have to be irrigated every few hours, and it will take him a while to get the hang of it. Your doctor will prep them both before he leaves the hospital.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 6 months ago #8607 by dadhasbc
Hi All, this is my first post. My dad was diagnosed with moderate to severely invasive, high grade TCC earlier this year, had two TURBTs to remove tumours, had BCG treatment, and now has undergone a RC with Neobladder a few days ago. So far, he is looking very well, and his surgeons and other doctors are very pleased.

His path reports came back today and they said he had prostatic cancer as well (early), but the lymph nodes all came back clean. His surgeon does not feel there is a need for additional chemo.

I have questions for the group, I have read as many comments on neobladders as possible and th stories people have posted and I am finding these very helpful. Thank you have having such an informative site!

So, my questions are these:

1. once the catheter is removed how long before people (men in particular) were able to hold for any period of time without leaking? My dad seems to have resigned himself to some incontinence issues with this surgery, but my mother is really having difficulty with the idea of incontinence.

2. With regards to incontinence, were there products that were particularly helpful? underpads, underwear, etc?

3. How much care was required by a nurse or spouse in the initial days after returning home...was most of it self-care, or did you require additional help from others for tasks such as hygiene, using the washroom etc? My father is expected to be hospitalized for two weeks. I think it may help my mother get through some of this if she knows that my Dad may be somewhat self-sufficient for routine tasks when he returns home...but I don't know if that would be the case. She knows that she will need to wake him frequently etc. while learning to use the bladder.

4. Any other tips/tricks from survivors our their significant others in dealing with the first few weeks post-op?

Thank you all so much for your help!!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne