Harry's surgery was successful

16 years 5 months ago #8819 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Harry's surgery was successful
I just wanted to let you all know that when you have surgery ( I have had 4 c-sections and 2 back surgeries) when you are opened up like that, and then sewen up again, gas get trapped in the body cavity too. It would be great if it was all just bowel gas, but the gas trapped in your body can even give you pain in your upper back, and chest. That is what is hard to get out because it doesn't have an exit and has to be absorbed or disapate on its own. There is also the fact that your intestines have been cut or at the very least "moved" around. Getting a "Kink" in the hose is very probable. Rest assured it will "Pass" and this too will be a distant memory.

Good Luck to you Harry, and the rest of you in your recovery

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #8814 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Harry's surgery was successful
Margot tell Harry I wish him the best and yeah that gas thing I think we all had because it's like starting to learn how to use your bowels all over again. That liquid diet is what I could not take best of luck. Joe ;)

16 years 5 months ago #8810 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Harry's surgery was successful
MARGOT,
This gas issue is a big problem. We are home almost 3 weeks, still trying to figure out what works and what to eat and not to eat. I have Colace, gas-x, dolcalax,prune juice, and suppositories. I would stay away from anything with seasoning, eat mashed potatoes, applesauce, eggs, little bacon, chicken, but nothing with a base. We have started over again, fruit and toast, cereal, sandwiches, and basics for dinner. Small size portions. Gene took 2 docolax and ended up going for 2 hours on and off. The next day he was wiped. Poor guy.
I believe the bowel has to be healing as well as waking up. Stomach cramps are a daily deal still. Gene is a bit depressed today, have to get him out of the house.
First time he's cried since he came home, he wants to feel better, I had so much compassion for him as he said he feels like he is 90 years old and is so thin. One step forward , two steps back,,,,Ginger

16 years 5 months ago #8806 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic Harry's surgery was successful
Thanks to those who let me know they had the same gas problems. They were giving him Pepcid in his IV but switched to something else last night and gave him a GasX. He had a "better night" - but still had some problems. This morning he was better and got a liquid diet for breakfast and lunch and he ate (drank) all leaving half the green jello...I guess he likes red better!! I will be sure to let him know of your similar experiences - that will definitely make him feel better! They also installed a "PIC IV" this morning to give him more nutrition since he hasn't eaten much at all in the last week. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers.

Margot

16 years 5 months ago #8786 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Harry's surgery was successful
Margot, Hope things settledown soon so you can go home. Pick up some gas-x just in case. I thought Gene had the gas thing all to himself. He didn't mean to share...I'll pray your home soon.. Ginger

16 years 5 months ago #8782 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Harry's surgery was successful
They gave me simethicone as well, and it eased things but didn't eliminate them.

I hope Harry is letting the nurses and doctors know how much pain he is in. Being the typical guy, I suffered through it until it got so bad I was pushing the the morphine button every chance I got. It didn't help a bit. The simethicone, on the other hand, did help.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne