Post Chemo kidney function

16 years 6 months ago #8492 by danpeters
Replied by danpeters on topic Post Chemo kidney function
I received the blood work from the PA who works with my oncologist. I needed the creatinine level before my CT scan to weigh the benefits/risks of IV contrast on the CT scan. Given the elevated level I opted for no contrast. I'll be meeting with the oncologist next week and will review the implications of the elevated level with him in the context of the chemo. After I meet with the oncologist I'll meet with a nephrologist. Thanks for the information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8467 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Post Chemo kidney function
Dan when I had my Tur done they saw that cancer was also growing up my left ureter causing a blockage and my left kidney was not working normal I think my creatine level then was about 2.2. They put a Cath in for a stent but with my luck it slipped out and I had to go back in the next day and get another stent put in. This time they used a double-j stent and this did the trick opened my ureter and got my left kidney working normal again. It took a week or so but my creatine level went back to the norm of about 1. After my chemo my creatine level stayed normal. Who did you see today to know your creatine level was up to 2.0 your oncologist or surgeon and what did they have to say. Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #8465 by survivor
Replied by survivor on topic Post Chemo kidney function
Hi Dan,
I went through the same chemo regime of Cisplatin-Gemzar , which was later substituted with Carboplatin after two cycles because of rise in my creatinine. Since I was already a kidney transplant recipient, I was at major risk and was constantly monitored and the docs were very observant and I was admitted as an inpatient to make sure all the cisplatin is flushed out without fail.
My creatinine was at 1.5 at the end of chemo, and was in the same level for the first one year. But, slowly it started reducing and my report from last week showed it at 1.0 which is very very rare for me, with my kidney complications and the medicines that I take.Its been 2.5 yrs since my chemo. I didn't take any supplements particular for kidney function improvement. I asked my doc to reduce the dosage of my transplant medications to boost immunity and also to reduce toxicity for the kidneys. I take Vitamin C & E and that's pretty much it. I do exercise regularly and drink a lot of water.Hope this helps and I am sure yours will also reduce after sometime,since you are normal otherwise. But, it is better to check it with a nephrologist rather than just visiting your onco & urologist.

S R
Kidney Transplant 1998
Upper Tract TCC, Dec 2004
Native kidney Right Nephroureterctomy Dec 2004
Non invasive bladder cancer,High Grade, Ta,TURB Jan 2012
Native kidney Left Nephroureterectomy Feb 2012

16 years 6 months ago #8463 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Post Chemo kidney function
Hi Dan,

I found the following site that might be helpful.

annonc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/13/2/222

Hope it helps,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 6 months ago #8462 by danpeters
Post Chemo kidney function was created by danpeters
I am a 59 year old male bladder cancer patient who has completed cisplatin and gemcitabine chemo following successful neobladder surgery. My creatinine level prior to treatment was consistently normal (0.9 - 1.0). During treatment these levels rose to 1.5 - 2.2. After the third round of cisplatin, carboplatin was subsituted because it would be "kinder" to my kidneys. In June, the day of my last treatment my creatinine level was 1.5. Today, as I prepare for my first three month check-up, my creatinine level has risen to 2.0. I'd like to hear from others who are further along this road to remission than I am about their post chemo creatinine levels and kidney functioning. Does the kidney function tend to improve? remain moderately impaired? worsen? Are there viable nutritional regimens that have helped with this issue? Any anecdotal experience or medical references to this issue are appreciated.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne