Squamous Cell Carcinema

16 years 5 months ago #9194 by cathy
Replied by cathy on topic Squamous Cell Carcinema
Lucky, Iam so sorry to hear that your cancer has spread, maybe you could start a new thread asking about the chemo, then hopefully you may get some people that have experianced it, answer your questions.
Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers,
Cathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #9175 by Lucky3579
Replied by Lucky3579 on topic Squamous Cell Carcinema
Hi all, yes I am thinking about the chemo. I didn't know they had different kinds. he did say the first time would take 8 hours.I find out about something and then things change andI have to start searching again. The doctors in Chapel Hill does not think it is squamous cell and that a mistake had been made there.That it is the regular kind. I guess it doesn't matter both can be deadly. He did tell me the chemo might shrink the cancer and I could try it a couple of times to see if it would. I know a lot of you have had chemo and I would appreciate an info pro and con on it. I have my family with me 100 per cent and 1 of my sisters is with me constantly and will be moving in with me so I can bring my mom back home. I worry about my brother constantly as he is in very bad health and lost a daughter 2 years ago due to a kidney disease. When my mom or another sister told him I was so sick and having kidney problems he freaked and was in the hospital for more than a week with a drip to keep him from having a heart attack. I only missed 1 day going to see him. We are also very close. My husband and children are taking this very hard. Please keep us in your prayers. I think I am still in shock.
Lucky

16 years 5 months ago #9152 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Squamous Cell Carcinema
Hi Lucky,
Well, that must have been a huge shock, those CT results. I'm sorry to hear this. I wondered which drugs your doctor had in mind. Some are worse than others, there are a number of different drugs for metastasized blc, we have a special section on the forum with folks on chemo for stage IV. Maybe you could post a follow up.

I hope you have family around to help you through the coming period, and friends too.
I'm wishing you all the best on the next phase of your journey.
Wendy

16 years 5 months ago #9151 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Squamous Cell Carcinema
Lucky,

I just want you to know that I was a patient of Dr. Pruthi's at UNC, and I just feel in my heart that you could not be in better hands.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Are you thinking about doing the chemo?

Your BC friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 5 months ago #9146 by Lucky3579
Replied by Lucky3579 on topic Squamous Cell Carcinema
Hi I saw Dr.Pruthi at Chapel Hill and a Dr. Kim. They were very nice and I like them. He insisted on getting the cat scan done with the contrast and dye which I am allergic. But they did it anyway. I had a light reaction and they took care of it. However it must have lit me up like a Christmas tree because the cancer is in my bladder, kidneys, liver, lymph nodes and bones.
They said there is no need to take my bladder out. The cancer center had put in their reports that they thought it had spread. They were going to take my bladder out anyway and I might have never gotten over it. That really upsets me. The team at Chapel Hill has offered me chemo. They said it may shrink the cancer or it may not. I don't know a lot about chemo except you get very sick and loose your hair. I could use any thoughts, knowledge and advise, pros and cons. They also said that the cancer may not be squamous cell but the normal in the liver.
thanks Lucky3579

16 years 6 months ago #8538 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Squamous Cell Carcinema
Lucky,
We have had two cases in North Carolina now and the doctors in both cases go on vacation leaving you hanging. Not acceptable when your dealing with bladder cancer. Time is valuable. I agree with those who give you good advice, find a major facility with urologists who are very specialized in this surgery. Get your situation with the stage of the cancer finalized, generally surgery should be 3 months from diagnosis, at least at the Cleveland Clinic's advise to us. We are here to help , as I was blessed to be guided by the members of this forum through my husbands r/c . Your in the right place for help!!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne