Going into the hospital? I have a suggestion

16 years 6 months ago #8425 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Going into the hospital? I have a suggestion
One last piece of advice.

Have an Advance Directive ready by the time you get to the hospital. By the time you get there you'll be so distracted that it will end up being a mad scramble trying to find one. By the time we were asked about it before my surgery, it was 11pm and no one could find the administrative person who had the right forms.

The link will take you to a sample, which you can customize.

Zach

P.S.-- Do Not Let This Happen To You

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8421 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic Going into the hospital? I have a suggestion
Thanks Zach - I sent an email to you regarding your offer. I hope you received it. Margot

16 years 6 months ago #8411 by Clara
Great ideas.
My husband took a cheaper version of the MP3 to chemo treatments....I think he enjoyed having some of his favorite music with him.
Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

16 years 6 months ago #8408 by Zachary
Since you're pressed for time you can go to an electronics store (like CompUSA) and get something that looks like this tinyurl.com/2z8le2 . They don't cost much.

If you don't know how to make an mp3 cd, please let me know and I'll make one and send it up to you (it's not hard, but if you don't know how, and don't have a friend or child who can do it for you, it can be frustrating).

The reason you want an mp3 cd player is that each cd can hold umpteen hours of audio, as opposed to the one hour max of a regular cd.

Zach

T3a Grade 4 N+M0

16 years 6 months ago #8406 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic Going into the hospital? I have a suggestion
Hi Zachary - No, unfortunately, we don't have a CD player that will play mp3 files, but I will look into buying one. Harry did already "pack" his ancient, but still working, transitor radio so he can listen to some of his fav talk shows during the day....but not sure what is on during "late night" since we are usually asleep!! Thanks for all the links to check out. I may be busy shopping and downloading tomorrow and Sauturday! Thanks too for the heads up about the necessities...I wondered if they would be provided, and didn't even think about shampoo that will save me a trip to the store after we get there. Margot

16 years 6 months ago #8405 by Zachary

One last thing--you might want to bring some of Harry's personal items (toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving creme, shampoo, that sort of thing) with you to the hospital. I didn't bring any of that; we just expected that it would be kind of like a hotel.

Wrong. They didn't provide anything, and much of it wasn't even for sale at the gift shop. And this was USC/Norris, not Hooterville General!

Another nice thing about bringing an iPod or another player with earphones--when they took out my staples it was a bit painful. When I played some music--LOUD--it distracted me from what was going on. It was a godsend.

T3a Grade 4 N+M0

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne