It's 12:44pm--do you know where your appendix is?

16 years 6 months ago #8605 by Patricia
OH Great...maybe mine will grow back. My mothers tonsils grew back! Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8603 by Zachary
North Carolina seems to be getting a lot of pixels on this site lately. Now, researchers at Duke University have (perhaps) figured out why we have an appendix.

The article is here.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 7 months ago #8068 by Zachary

What they use it for is if there is a problem down the line, not for the reconstruction that we've already had. I'd rather have them use my appendix, if necessary, than having them remove more intestine. For those of us over fifty, appendicitis is not common.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 7 months ago #8067 by Patricia
Well i'm sure glad i gave up leaves in my diet! Pat

16 years 7 months ago #8065 by Mike
Now sssssshhhh mine is that little worm like thing at the bottom and he is sleeping now so be very quiet. As far I read they said it might be used in bladder reconstruction so we already got that part covered with other intestines. So it serves no purpose as they say, and the only thing it could do is cause appendicitis and that is a trip into the OR, so as I posted b4 when they did my surgery they just took it out of course I had to sign a consent form. That way I don't have to worry about the little bugger down the road lol. Damn the inside of the human body is really creepy lol Joe ;)

16 years 7 months ago #8057 by timb
Wikipedia:-
Medical literature shows that the appendix is not generally credited with significant function. The appendix is rich in infection-fighting lymphoid cells, suggesting that it might play a role in the immune system.[3] Whether or not the appendix has a function, it is routinely removed without any notable ill effects or side effects.

Some experts [4] believe that the appendix was used for digesting leaves as primates. Over time, we have eaten fewer vegetables and have evolved, over millions of years, for this organ to be smaller to make room for our stomach.

There have been cases of people who have been found, usually on laparoscopy or laparotomy, to have a congenital absence of their appendix. There have been no reports of impaired immune or gastrointestinal function in these people.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne